ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Screen Ration Fears From A Newbie!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew GagnonScreen Ration Fears From A Newbie!
by on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:24:51 pm

First of all, let me thank the Creative Cow community. When I finally took the monitary plunge to get AE, I was nervous I would be in over my head. My wife wants me to use the program after what I paid! I have already benefitted from Creative Cows tutorials that have helped me learn and get HOOKED on AE.

But here is a concern, the export ratio...

I have read a few threads here and on the http://WWW about 16:9 NTSC issues.

Probably important to say what id like to use AE for. I want to use them for home movies, mostly keepsake DVDs I make for my kids hockey team. I want to add splash to the productions I make. I edit video using both Power Producer and Pinnacle Studio. I FULLY intend to still do final editing and dvd making with these 2. I will add the visual bells and whistles using EA. Example.. a players picture appears on screen, a hockey puck rolls from one side of screen to the other while I green screen fade in the player moving around in uniform in the background. These things the other programs cant do or cant do as well as AE.

Now I have a 16:9 cam corder and do like to make the DVDs wide screen. I never have to mess with settings to make it wide screen. It doesnt look 'stretched' at all on my 48 inch Plasma TV. Its worked real well.

I have read about these'issues' with ratio on AE. I simply want to export finished AE AVIs and them bring them to my other programs for my final product. I dont want the stretching my regular 4:3 tv channels have on my tv.. I want it to look good!

Will I have screen size issues? I seriously dont mind small black line on each side of screen.. but not 4:3 kind.. small ones that have to be pointed out woudlnt bother me.

DO I have to use NTSC since I am in Canada and these are intended for DVD playback?

I made a few videos intended for Youtube on PAL Widescreen, this wont be an issue with Yourtube? Can I convert those PAL vids or master project files to NTSC without screwing everything up?

Also since I am asking questions.. I make my DVDs with MPG2 files. I save the AE work in AVIs. Is th is the best format for EA files? Will they look worse once converted into the final product in MPG2?

Sorry this is so long, I wanted to be clear and try to address my conern top to bottom!

Thanking you all in advance!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Screen Ration Fears From A Newbie!
by on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:25:18 pm

The only aspect ratio issues with AE are with people who don't understand them.
To make sure your output isn't squashed or stretched you just need to make sure you're following the correct rules for pixel aspect ratio. You should be exporting lossless AVI or MOV files out of AE and importing them to your NLE and if it looks like your other footage does, it'll be just fine.
I'm assuming you're working in SD. 720x480. Now, the question is, is that a proper anamorphic 16:9 or are is your camera (or NLE) letterboxing it? Just match what your camera does in AE and you should be good.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Andrew GagnonRe: Screen Ration Fears From A Newbie!
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:33:37 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I hope I dont annoy you, Id imagine you guys get the same questions over and over. Right now my wife is asking "Are you ever going to get that *&^$ing thing working for the money you spent?!"

Letterboxing as I understnad it is when it produces a wide screen shot but with black bars on top and bottom? If thats the case, then no, my dvds come out with no bars on top and bottom.

Is there a guide for the "Correct rules for pixel aspect ratio"?

My SD camcorder records in .MOV files that cant be opened in AE. The quality is VERY good. But when I import soemthing from AE on what I think is proper ration, I get a squished image as you mentioned. I used my other editor to convert the AVI to MPG2 and it then makes an image that IS now proper ratio in my preferred editor, but the quality is reduced alot. Hoping its just a ratio match i need to make.

I do appreciate the help. Let me say that again..

Again, my main goal with AE is to edit home movies with nice effects without reducing quality or warping the final product.

Return to posts index

Andrew GagnonRe: Screen Ration Fears From A Newbie!
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:45:33 pm

Heres somehting to throw out there... I am wondering if it just might be time to get Adobe DVD authoring software that can open my .mov files and might work bteer with EA?

MAN, I HOPE I CAN JUST FIX RATIO AND NOT HAVE TO DO THIS!! LOL!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Screen Ratio Fears From A Newbie!
by on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:41:10 pm

I love Adobe's Encore DVD authoring software. However, you shouldn't need to worry about it. You should easily be able to output something from AE that works just fine.

See this page [link] for more info on aspect ratios.

If you drag some of your footage to the Make New Comp button, it'll make a comp with the same settings as your footage. It should be fine from there.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]