ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Quicktime Render fail

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Malmstrom
After Effects Quicktime Render fail
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:17:25 pm

After importing a raw MOV file from a 5D Mark II and doing a bit of time remapping I'm trying to render a quicktime with h.264 format.

Renders are failing. Also, in trying to render out AVI or MPEG4 I'm getting a green flicker. I have turned on frame blending in both the comp and the layer itself. Also, I have a very robust machine.

Anybody?

THANK YOU!

JJM

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: After Effects Quicktime Render fail
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:29:32 pm

What version of AE are you using? If it's CS4 or earlier, you should convert your footage to a lossless codec. Dave LaRonde explains more in
Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Now, that's not true for CS5 or CS5.5. It should be fine there.

Side note: I wouldn't suggest rendering your final compression out of AE. I'll leave it to Dave for this one as well.
Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jim Malmstrom
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:36:16 pm

Thank you Michael.

I am using AE 5.5. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I'm not looking for any particular compression (size file) I'm just trying to get the best output for use back into Sony Vegas Pro 10 (which does a remarkably good job with these files right out of the camera).

JJM

Return to posts index

Jim Malmstrom
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:45:42 pm

I should say AE CS5.5

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 22, 2011 at 7:38:43 pm

Have you perhaps installed any codec packs? AE CS5.5 shouldn't have a problem with that footage.

Try encoding it to a lossless file type such as Quicktime with the PNG codec or a completely uncompressed AVI before you bring it into AE and see if it helps?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]