ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Can't copy elipse path for Motion Path tool.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gordon SpursCan't copy elipse path for Motion Path tool.
by on Jun 13, 2011 at 2:08:07 pm

Hello guys. I'm having a lot of difficulty with something that HAS to be extremely simple!

Basically, I have an Earth and Moon set up using the sphere effect and want the moon to orbit the Earth along a dotted path that I've created using the elipse shape shape rotated into 3d space. The technique which seems best is the Motion path tool, yet for some reason I am unable to copy the path of the elipse and past it into the position of the Moon.

The problem has nothing to do with the sphere effect and as it has been pre-comped and I have already made the technique work with a mask path copy. If there isn't a solution I'm gonna have to create a solid and align and elipse mask up as best I can to the shape layer but this isn't really an ideal fix as it has annoyed me and should be simpler.

Hopefully I've uploaded the image correctly so you can see what I'm talking about, any help on this one would be greatly appreciated as my deadline is approaching.

Return to posts index

Gordon SpursRe: Can't copy elipse path for Motion Path tool.
by on Jun 13, 2011 at 2:19:53 pm

The scene

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Can't copy elipse path for Motion Path tool.
by on Jun 14, 2011 at 12:37:21 am

Do you actually have a Path property in your shape layer, or do you have a parametric shape?

If you drew the ellipse with the Ellipse tool without a modifier key, then you created a parametric shape, which doesn't have a Path property.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved