ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

mask drawn on text layer doesn't appear correctly

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Gravesmask drawn on text layer doesn't appear correctly
by on Jun 11, 2011 at 5:42:20 am

Wow, this is weird. I'm trying to draw a rectangle mask on a text layer with the intention of pulling a reveal on the words, and I can't get to "square one". There's some kind of strange displacement going on. I try to pull the mask over the text (solid) layer and either the mask doesn't appear (as if I've pulled the mask off of the composition), or it pops up on some arcane location in the composition where I did not draw it, like off the composition frame down below. It's possibly caused by parenting the layer to another layer, or maybe because the layer in question or it's parent layer is a 3d layer. Not sure.

Anyway, my goal is to use the mask -- any mask -- to "wipe on" some text elements in my logo animation. If I animated the mask on an adjustment layer, could you please tell me how to use it as a reveal for a specific layer below it? (Or indeed, if the mask is on the same layer as the text, how can I assign it to reveal the text as it animates?)

thx

~ John

"Life is good, as long as it doesn't take up too much of my time."

-anonymous gamer

Return to posts index

John GravesRe: mask drawn on text layer doesn't appear correctly
by on Jun 11, 2011 at 6:15:59 am

OK, I solved my problem more or less. Parenting was causing a problem with the mask position. Also, I'm using an earlier version of AE and I need to pre compose my text layer for the mask to work.

thx

~ J

"Life is good, as long as it doesn't take up too much of my time."

-anonymous gamer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]