ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

edit keyframe while at different time

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Engelkemieredit keyframe while at different time
by on Jun 10, 2011 at 12:37:17 pm

I can double click the keyframe, put in a value, hit enter and check my results, but you have to do that over and over by trial and error.

Is there a way to edit a keyframe, say at frame 0 but have the time slider at say frame 35?

I know if you have an object and want to move it while moving all the keyframes you can select all the keyframes and then move it, although I'm thinking I remember that the time slider has to be over at least one keyframe, but not sure.

Am I missing a trick, or did Adobe just kind of ignore this need?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: edit keyframe while at different time
by on Jun 10, 2011 at 2:36:09 pm

[Andy Engelkemier] "Am I missing a trick, or did Adobe just kind of ignore this need?"

No, they didn't ignore it: it's a FEATURE.

Whenever you make a keyframe on a property, AE automatically makes a new keyframe if you alter that property's values at any different time. So if you want to edit a certain keyframe's value, you GO TO THAT KEYFRAME.

You get used to doing it. Everybody gets used to it. So will you. And if you don't, you won't have much fun working in AE.

I, for one, am very glad AE works this way. I would hate like heck to have to manually create keyframes all the time when I enter a value.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andy EngelkemierRe: edit keyframe while at different time
by on Jun 10, 2011 at 2:44:32 pm

I must not have been clear. I'm aware that is the way it works, but wondered if I was overlooking a way to override that for certain cases.

I perfect example is where you already have other keyframes in the start of an animation. Maybe some controlling opacity? So in the beginning you can't see where something is.

Later in the animation after a couple seconds you need to see where the object is and control that a bit, but you Don't want a keyframe there.
So you have to adjust the first position keyframe relative the the timeline where you are located.

If you add keyframes all over the place, going back and editing an animation can be a pain, and if you want something to look precise, it's always best to have as few keyframes as possible.

So it's a great feature, but I want a way to tell AfterEffects that I'm editing a specific keyframe while having the timeline in a different location.

I added it to the wishlist. My suggestion was to have sliders available as well as preview when you double click a keyframe to edit it. Currently when changing items in that window it doesn't update in view until you hit ok.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 10, 2011 at 2:59:40 pm

[Andy Engelkemier] "I added it to the wishlist."

That's how to do it.

I understand what you're talking about, but frankly, I've never had the need to do what you seek... even when dealing with opacity keyframes in the exact same situation you describe.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andy EngelkemierRe: edit keyframe while at different time
by on Jun 10, 2011 at 3:58:26 pm

Not everyone is a fan of trial and error. I like to see the results as I change them as much as possible so I'm not billing a client for wasted time fighting with software.
I understand not everyone does advanced things though, so may not have needs like that. Some people just deal with some basic graphics, text, and video footage, so may not even need anything like that.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 10, 2011 at 4:25:33 pm

Well, there ARE fast ways to get from Point A to Point B on the timeline via timeline markers, set by going Shift-0 through Shift-9 (don't use the numeric keypad for the numbers). You can then go to them instantly using the 0-9 keys at the top of the keyboard. When done with them, drag the markers off the timeline to the right.

So in your scenario you could:
  • Set a timeline marker at the time in question.
  • Take a snapshot of the current comp window.
  • Set a timeline marker at the keyframe in question.
  • Alter the property.
  • Go back to the time in question by hitting the number key.
  • Look at the before-after result using the snapshot you took earlier.
  • Repeat as necessary until it looks right.

Don't know how to take a snapshot and see the before-after? Go to AE's Online Help and do a search for "snapshot".

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]