ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Simple Text Popping

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brooke DahmenSimple Text Popping
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 4:50:36 pm

Hi-- I had a client ask me to re-create an effect in this music video

Forgive the language, that's what they gave me. They would just like me to do something similar with the text, but I don't really know where to begin. I don't have an entire song of lyrics to do that with, just a few words-- they just really like the words appearing as they do.

Any idea how to create that?

~thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Simple Text Popping
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 5:53:38 pm

It'll take some planning, but it's simple in principle:
  • Make a text layer of the work to be popped up.
  • Left-justify it in the paragraph settings.
  • Play with the layer's vertical anchor point settings to get the baseline where you want it.
  • Scale the layer from 0 to 100% with keyfram
If you feel adventurous, you can scale using an expression, but I personally don't see the need for it when you can copy & paste the scale keyframes.

You'll also be using plenty of nulls and doing a lot of parenting if you intend to follow through on the the look of that entire video... hence the planning I mentioned earlier.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brooke DahmenRe: Simple Text Popping
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 6:09:44 pm

Thank you!!

Return to posts index

Robin LewisRe: Simple Text Popping
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 1:29:37 pm

I dont know what level of experience you have with AE so I apologies if I break this down too much.

Firstly I would suggest you look at typography tutorials. They will undoubtably help a lot with both creating this and allow you to create a wider range of looks for your client (if they want them).

The first thing you need to do is create some text (you'll need to do this one word at a time).

Make sure the ancor point is level with the bottom of your text.

Then go to the scale transform setting for the text.

You will need to click the little chain icon next to the scale setting to allow you to change the x and y values independently.

Then pick the second (y) value and set it to 0 and add a key frame.

Go forwards about 10-15 frames and set the y value to 100 (it will automatically add a keyframe)

This will give you the basic look of it. To add some of the style that the video has there are a couple more steps.

Firstly you want to easy ease in the second keyframe. Do this by right clicking on the second diamond in the timeline and going to keyframe assistant - Easy Ease In.

You then need to add motion blur by clicking the motion blur tick box for the layer (the box on the left of the 3 next to the layer name) and turn motion blur on for the composition by clicking the motion blur button at the top of the time line. The motion blur icon looks like a ball moving fast (blury).

So that will give you the text animating on as you like. To make it move about the screen as in the video you will need to make the text 3D layers and use a camera (make sure auto orientation is off for the camera)

You will then just need to play around with the position of the camera to get the look your after. I really would suggest you do a search for some typography tutorials for this. There are plenty out there and will be very beneficial to you.

Hope that helps,

Return to posts index

Brooke DahmenRe: Simple Text Popping
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 6:10:16 pm

Thank you!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved