ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stabilization

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard JohnsonStabilization
by on Jun 5, 2011 at 11:29:09 pm

I just picked up a Nikon D7000 recently and have been playing around with the video on it. Yesterday I shot a fashion show to produce a promotional piece for the designer's website. I used my Panasonic HMC-150 as my A-Cam but brought along the D7000 thinking it would be a another opportunity to test it out and to maybe use some of the footage if I was happy with it. I really like some of the shots but I was mostly focusing on the Panny so with the Nikon I was just handheld shooting and some of the footage is a little shaky. Final cut pro (I have FCP 6) takes a long time to stabilize and I was curious if After Effects has a stabilizer function that would be preferable and or quicker. I will have to transcode the footage to Prores422 using compressor but was wondering:
A. Does After Effects CS5 recognize and natively edit/stabilize Nikon D7000 footage?
B. Is there a Stabilizer function in After Effects CS5 that is preferable to the one in FCP6?
C. If I'm going to transcode the clips should I do that first and then pull them into After Effects or Stabilize in After Effects then transcode in Compressor to finally edit in FCP.
Thanks for any input. -Richard

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Stabilization
by on Jun 6, 2011 at 1:18:25 am

You could use the Warp Stabilizer in After Effects CS5.5.

If you only have After Effects CS5, you can use the point tracker for stabilization.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Richard JohnsonRe: Stabilization
by on Jun 7, 2011 at 4:19:58 am

Todd, after you mentioned the "Warp Stabilizer" feature I decided to download the 30 day trial of CS5.5 today and give it a go. Wow, it's horrible on my footage. I saw some samples that I was directed to from the Adobe site and it looked promising but It gave my footage crazy "jello" type effects. I posted a clip on Vimeo of how the Warp Stabilizer affected my footage and how the SmoothCam feature in final cut affected it (I'm still on FCP 6). Here are the links:
http://www.vimeo.com/24755638
http://www.vimeo.com/24755478

I tried it in a few different shots and didn't feel any would be acceptable. The shot I posted was simply from selecting Stabilize Motion from the Animation tab to apply the Warp Stabilizer. Are there other parameters I need to tweak to get it to work well or is it just not very good for certain types of shots? I'm really bummed, I was hoping for a new arrow to add to my quiver... I've got it for a month though, any other types of shots that you feel this effect excels in that I could try out or are there any of the advanced parameters that I can adjust within the effect controls that might help this type of shot. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Stabilization
by on Jun 7, 2011 at 4:33:59 am

There are tutorials linked to from here that show how to use the effect and modify the properties for various purposes.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Richard JohnsonRe: Stabilization
by on Jun 7, 2011 at 5:18:06 am

Yeah, In those tutorials it says you can make a garbage mask around everything in the foreground and with multiple layers then keep the background from going "absolutely wacky" to quote the guy on Adobe TV. I'm not too proficient in After Effects (hence me being in the After Effects Basics Forum) I was hoping I could just adjust the parameters within the effect. Maybe as I get more proficient I'll be able to get something decent out of it. It was certainly faster than the FCP Smoothcam. I think for a clip that took Warp Stabilizer 3 minutes, FCP took 5. That's almost half the time which is substantial if you have lots of clips that needs stabilizing. Next time I'll be more careful who I lend my steadicam out to. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]