ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Timewarp vs Twixtor for slow motion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james bachaloTimewarp vs Twixtor for slow motion
by on Jun 1, 2011 at 1:50:34 pm

Hi
Seems everyone is using Twixtor for slow motion, but before I spend money on a plugin I might not need, could someone please summarize for me what advantages the Twixtor basic plugin has over using Timewarp in AE?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Timewarp vs Twixtor for slow motion
by on Jun 1, 2011 at 2:46:55 pm

twixtor probably has better frame interpolation for generating new frames in between existing ones, however it's not magic and you may have mixed results slowing footage beyond half speed.

if you need to slow it more that half, you may need to try doing it in multiple passes -- render out half speed, then slow that half speed render down further...

i suggest try the demo before paying for the plugin... you can also compare it to timewarp results.

also, if you happen to have interlaced footage, you can slow that to half speed easily by selecting the footage in the project window, select file>interpret footage>main and set ae to 'separate fields' (select field order) and click the preserve edges option.

then drop that footage into a comp of the same frame rate and then choose layer>time>time stretch and set to 200%. footage will be half speed with no effects needed.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

james bachaloRe: Timewarp vs Twixtor for slow motion
by on Jun 1, 2011 at 3:45:52 pm

Thanks Kevin
I guess what Im trying to find out is exactly why Twixtor 'has better frame interpolation'.
AE uses its 'Pixel Motion' to interpolate pixels which as I understand it, is what Twixtor does.

I'm going to try and do my own comparison test but if anyone has done a comparison already would love to see the results

What I'm wondering is if its possible to achieve the same effect as done here(scroll to :30) WITHOUT any additional plugin....

My source material is primarily 60fps DSLR footage, which I've conformed to 24 fps for basic 50% slow motion, but I want to see what is possible beyond the very basic Time remapping feature in PProCS5.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2011 at 4:28:10 pm

the fake rain drops in those really help sell that effect...

you might also check out tutorials like these for faking that kind of super-slow-mo effect using stills:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/fuller_mathew/AE_Advanced-2-5D-Animation.php

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/jelescu_tudor/3D-from-2D-image_AE.php

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2011 at 4:25:53 pm

two more on this page:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/fuller_mathew/

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW