ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Time change with stills

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David OlsonTime change with stills
by on May 27, 2011 at 7:41:37 pm

I've searched for this and I don't think it's possible, but I have to ask.

I use a bunch of stills as filler in places and I often put some kind of in point and out point transition. Since they're used as fillers, sometimes I have to stretch or shrink their time. Easy enough, but the @#$& keyframes don't move. So, I kill time dragging the keyframes back to their new location. I don't want a time stretch since I'm not looking for a relative recalculation of the key frames. I'm simply making them longer or shorter.

Is there a way to move an out or in point and have the keyframes move?

Now, I usually trim the outpoint and move the layer to the right place since moving it keeps the in point keyframes in place.

-DO

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Time change with stills
by on May 27, 2011 at 7:52:14 pm

Who says you have to do a time stretch for the entire clip?

Use Time Remapping to lengthen & shorten the static sections of the clips, getting them to the proper duration. It takes a little planning, but you easily can do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Time change with stills
by on May 27, 2011 at 7:57:29 pm

you could use stretch (either form the timeline stretch property column or layer>time>time stretch) to change the duration, which will also stretch the timing of the transition.

or you could use an expression to trigger the transition based on the in and out points of the layer. something like this would work for opacity:

dur = 2; // duration of transition in seconds
if (time > outPoint-dur){
100 * (outPoint - time) / dur
}else{
100 * (time - inPoint) / dur
}

just set the duration you want for the fade in/out and the expression will accommodate any layer duration (well, it probably needs to be long enough for both the fade in and out)

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Time change with stills
by on May 27, 2011 at 7:59:18 pm

[Kevin Camp] "you could use stretch (either form the timeline stretch property column or layer>time>time stretch) to change the duration, which will also stretch the timing of the transition."

sorry, i should have read your post more carefully, you don't want stretch....

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

David OlsonRe: Time change with stills
by on May 27, 2011 at 8:27:20 pm

Hi Dave & Kevin,

Your're right. Stretch affects the fade-in and out proportionally. I'd want to keep the 2 second fade regardless. Which, of course, I'd wouldn't trim the layer so much as to make the fades cross over.

It's just that I was editing a screen capture of a software demo that I put a lot of stills in and was cursing all the keyframes I had to move :)

The expression idea would work moving forward. Or create preset...

-DO

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]