ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effect Rendering Large HD project to DVD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel LeestAfter Effect Rendering Large HD project to DVD
by on May 27, 2011 at 4:51:11 pm

Hello,

I have two questions for you dude's let me start out with the first one and the most important.

I have made a movie about my vacation in AE with the comp file set to
HDTV 1920 / 1080 , resolution FULL , Frame rate 29,97.

The video's of my vacation is in FULL HD , the file type is AVCHD video (.MTS)
Now ive finished the project and it is 21 minutes long , but how can i render this to fit on a DVD?
What render settings should i use?

Second question is that i made this project in CS4 , now im using CS5 and CS5 is not recognizing the .MTS file , how can i fix that?

Thanks in advance

BTW I'm dutch sorry for the poor english , CHeers

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effect Rendering Large HD project to DVD
by on May 27, 2011 at 5:22:16 pm

[Daniel Leest] "HDTV 1920 / 1080 , resolution FULL , Frame rate 29,97.... how can i render this to fit on a DVD? What render settings should i use? ...BTW I'm dutch"

Welcome!

Since you're Dutch, I have to ask this: do you intend to make a PAL or an NTSC DVD? If you can play an NYSC DVD, I recommend making an NTSC DVD because your footage is at the NTSC frame rate of 29.97. You can nest your HD comp in a DVD resolution comp (use the NTSC DV Widescreen comp preset), scale it to fit the comp, render in a lossless or uncompressed codec, and use the resulting file for DVD authoring.

But you may have problems....

[Daniel Leest] "the file type is AVCHD video (.MTS)... i made this project in CS4, now im using CS5 and CS5 is not recognizing the .MTS file"

That's the problem. CS4 doesn't like AVCHD or mts files. It's a common problem, and you should read this:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can open the CS4 PROJECT FILE in CS5 you may have better luck, because CS5 has no problems with the footage you shot. Then follow the instructions above.

And if you haven't done it yet, get the free update to AE 10.0.2.1. Go Help>Update. Turn off your antivirus and firewall software before you download and install.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel LeestRe: After Effect Rendering Large HD project to DVD
by on May 27, 2011 at 5:49:15 pm

Thanks for the reply,

I am not sure if i render it to ntsc it will play on a european DVD player but i can try nonetheless.

I must say i am just a beginner in After Effects so what i understand is
-I must set the composition setting to NTSC DV WIDESCREEN
- And set the output module to lossless

What format is the best to use ? Quicktime ? Avi ? ... ?

Here are my comp and render settings for more info

http://imageshack.us/f/846/63698043.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/121/naamloosch.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/840/21053754.jpg/

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: After Effect Rendering Large HD project to DVD
by on May 27, 2011 at 6:16:13 pm

[Daniel Leest] "I must set the composition setting to NTSC DV WIDESCREEN"

actually, you don't have to set it that way... i would probably set the comp up at what ever the final destination was... if the destination is an ntsc widescreen dvd, then that comp setting is good, if it was a pal widescreen dvd, then that might not be a good choice.

you could also render hd from ae, then use another piece of software to down convert -- your dvd authoring software may do this -- however, i prefer to do it in ae.

[Daniel Leest] "And set the output module to lossless"

i would render as lossless, but you could use any high quality lossy compression, like quicktime's photo-jpeg (90-100 quality), or any number of pro codecs you may have.

[Daniel Leest] "What format is the best to use ?"

that really comes down to what the dvd authoring software will accept... if it works only with quicktime, then .mov; if it works only with avi, then .avi; if it works with either, then take your pick.

after that the dvd software will encode it with mpeg-2 compression for playback on a dvd player.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on May 27, 2011 at 6:18:04 pm

You have other problems beside choosing the correct way to render. I see you used mp3 files. You can't. They must ALL be converted to wav or aiff files for use in AE.

AE has NEVER been able to use any kind of compressed audio successfully.

This After Effects business is difficult, isn't it? That's because it was first designed for media professionals, not users at home. A beginner has to learn the basics, because there are too many little details in AE, like the compressed audio problem, to use it successfully by just playing around with it. If you do, it's like jumping into the deep end of the swimming pool wearing lead weights.

You really should begin at the beginning:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Daniel LeestRe: After Effect Rendering Large HD project to DVD
by on May 27, 2011 at 6:49:30 pm

Thanks for the heads Up guys

I know how AE works , but rendering a large project for a DVD with good quality and the right settings is new for me.
When i get the .MTS fixed i will render it , 1 more question how large (gigabyte) do you pro's think will be the Movie when it's done rendering , because i don't want to have the problem that i run out of discspace while it is still rendering.

Thanks

Return to posts index

by on May 27, 2011 at 7:31:25 pm

[Daniel Leest] "how large (gigabyte) do you pro's think will be the Movie when it's done rendering"

My best guess if you render standard-definition video using a lossless Quicktime codec, like PNG, is 47 gigabytes. When it's compressed to mpeg2 video at best quality to use with a DVD authoring application, it will be MUCH smaller.

Don't use AE to do the compression to mpeg2: it does a very poor job of it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]