ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Masking multiple layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Abram SiegelMasking multiple layers
by on May 18, 2011 at 5:58:13 pm

I have tried following the advice posted in the forum and others in several places and for whatever reason, I cannot get this to work.

I need to mask the scroll behind the hand. I can't seem to get the mask on the hand to hide the scroll. If I put the mask on the scroll, then I can't get the mask to move with the hand when the hand is in motion. Is there a way to accomplish this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Masking multiple layers
by on May 18, 2011 at 7:47:21 pm

It looks like you're using the Stroke effect on a solid to make that hand. Since I only see white on black, is it possible to set Stroke to stroke on the layer than on transparent? That would be an easy fix.

If there's more we don't see, you could finish the animation, duplicate the hand layer, set Stroke as suggested above, and let the scroll layer use the duplicate as a track matte.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Abram SiegelRe: Masking multiple layers
by on May 18, 2011 at 8:01:17 pm

Sorry for the confusion. The yellow part is actually a mask I put in that I was using to try to mask everything behind it. Also, as to black and white, the hand and scroll are precomped to be placed on a background. The finished product will look something like this:

Thanks for your help Dave. I've resorted to your solutions many times on this forum!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Masking multiple layers
by on May 18, 2011 at 8:15:51 pm

Well, don't get rid of that mask! Paste it onto a solid, parent the solid to the hand, and use the solid as a track matte for the scroll. That oughta work!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Abram SiegelRe: Masking multiple layers
by on May 18, 2011 at 8:37:29 pm

YES! Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]