ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Lighting 2D images, issue with transparancies

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al McLeanLighting 2D images, issue with transparancies
by on May 15, 2011 at 6:55:43 pm

Hi, I've had a search through the archives but I can't find an answer to this question. I'm making a simple animation with 2D images but I'm having problems when adding lighting effects in AE, the transparent edges of the images show in the composition and don't look pretty, presumably because I'm doing this wrong! I've tried adding effects directly to the 2D image, or adding it to an adjustment layer, same results. Here is an example, you can see the harsh cuts where the image stops:
Bad 2D Lighting!

Any solutions for this? Hopefully a simple one! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Lighting 2D images, issue with transparancies
by on May 16, 2011 at 12:05:04 am

It's hard to tell where the problem lies from the image you posted: since it's space related, it could be anything, and it doesn't really jump out.

But based on your description, I wonder if your layer actually has transparency where you think it does. Have you double-checked it?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Al McLeanRe: Lighting 2D images, issue with transparancies
by on May 16, 2011 at 11:57:35 am

Hi, yes I understand that the image isn't the easiest to work out. There are two issues in the image, one lies directly above the sun, it's a harsh line where the lighting effect discountinues. The harsh black line is actually the edge of the photoshop image of the sun. It's definitely transparent but it's just that the lighting doesn't seem to effect anything beyond that point - I even stuck in a completely transparent PNG file below the sun that covers the whole screen but it doesn't seem to be effected by the lighting. It's very strange and difficult for me to explain. I have managed to create some kind of a solution but it requires that I turn the images into 3D, a whole new learning curve!

The other problem is the diagonal white line that comes down from the top right hand corner. This is again the edge of an image that should be (and is!) transparent. I've actually managed to make this look OK with use of the choke matte effect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved