ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

minimize ambient occlusion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philipe Karlssonminimize ambient occlusion
by on May 13, 2011 at 1:22:34 am

Im color correcting some 3d footage. i forgot to put the ambient occlusion in a separate pass. i now have a grey color in the footage that i would like to minimize and/or remove.

what's the best method to even out a little to dark grey colortone in a very specific area?
i tried to mask out and apply curves. gave okay results but i feels like there should be a more 'correct/easier/pro' way to do it.

tips & tricks very much appreciated

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: minimize ambient occlusion
by on May 15, 2011 at 10:55:54 pm

One option, would be to go ahead and render that separate ambient occlusion pass now. When it's done, place it over the heavily occluded footage in your comp and set it's blend mode to 'Divide' (only available in CS5+) or add an 'Invert' effect and set the blend mode to 'Color Dodge' (available in previous versions, same result). That should entirely remove the ambient occlusion (except where your image is pure black, if it's a very dark render then this technique may not work).

You can then reduce the opacity of the separate ambient occlusion pass to bring back some of the ambient occlusion. Alternatively you can apply a Levels effect to the separate pass and increase the Black Output or Gamma values to tweak not only how intense the ambient occlusion is, but how quickly it falls off as well (Gamma).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: minimize ambient occlusion
by on May 18, 2011 at 8:53:24 pm

Well I thought it was a good suggestion anyway.

Thanks Darby, I thought it was a good one too!

Well, you're welcome Darby. I do the best I can.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Dan WildeRe: minimize ambient occlusion
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 3:01:18 am

I found it a good suggestion too Darby. As somewhat of a newb to C4D multipass, I've stumbled across a few of your posts in the last week that have been very useful to me. Keep up the good work my friend, your efforts are not in vain!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved