ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Keying/replacing a specific object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke McCutcheonKeying/replacing a specific object
by on May 12, 2011 at 12:31:53 am

my first post....

I'm hoping to achieve the effect of a hand holding a colourful, glowing, orb-like object that would really seem like it is resting in my hand. I thought the best way to do this would be to use a green ball as a marker. What confuses me is how to get whatever effect i apply to spread further than the actual area of my ball (e.g., I'd like the ball to be a reference point, and have a separate layer/object follow the motion of my hand as opposed to simply keying out what is already green). Can anyone give me any leads on tutorials/starting points for this? Anything would help! Thanks.

Return to posts index

Matt KorshisRe: Keying/replacing a specific object
by on May 13, 2011 at 6:09:15 am

Could you provide more information. Does the camera move in the shot or is it locked off. How much does your hand move in the shot? Have you already successfully tracked the green ball?

Return to posts index

Luke McCutcheonRe: Keying/replacing a specific object
by on May 13, 2011 at 3:03:32 pm

The camera does move - it's all handheld. That's why this is tricky. Haven't tracked it because I wasn't sure if that was what i was suppose to do. Basically, I'm wondering if achieving this effect requires motion tracking, in which case the ball doesn't NEED to be green but rather just needs to stand out (if I'm not mistaken) OR if I simply need to apply an effect to a certain (green) color range. Do I need to do color keying? Sorry for the lack of info... basically I need to know where to start. What is it? Keying, Tracking? Simple effect applying? A combination of the above?

Return to posts index

Matt KorshisRe: Keying/replacing a specific object
by on May 14, 2011 at 4:44:52 am

Ok so it does sound tricky but hopefully we can point you in the right direction. A few more questions:

1) From which perspective is the camera looking at the hand & ball(could you provide some screen shots?You can email me direct
2) Could you show me a reference images of the type of orb you wish to create, if you have one?
3)Will the Orb be transperent at all?

It could well be a combination of keying and tracking depending on the look you are after. I need a little more info before providing any ideas. Could you describe how the camera moves, for example does the camera orbit around your hand or is from one angle etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved