ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

changing green screen color

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Smithchanging green screen color
by on May 11, 2011 at 4:54:17 am

instead of deleting the green screen i want to select it and change its color to yellow. Can i use keylight (1.2) for this? Not sure how. I'm in CS5.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: changing green screen color
by on May 11, 2011 at 10:44:54 am

There are different ways you could go about this. But why not just pull a clean key as usual, then drop in a yellow solid underneath?

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Johnny SmithRe: changing green screen color
by on May 11, 2011 at 11:25:28 am

because no matter how i get rid of the green screen with keylight, even if i apply a mask to get rid of the underexposed corners, her skin tone gets affected and noisier ( cause my clip black is at 36 ). It's subtle but noticable. There's gotta be a better way.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: changing green screen color
by on May 11, 2011 at 3:43:16 pm

Are you trying to use Keylight intuitively? That's not a good idea.

Have you done the downloadable Keylight tutorial (Manual & Sample Files) on The Foundry's web site?
Have you looked at the various Keylight tutorials here on the COW and at videocopilot?
Are you using a garbage matte to eliminate what is possibly poorly-lit portions of the chroma key background?
Have you looked at Aharon Rabinowitz' COW tutorial about Super-Tight Junk Mattes (aka garbage mattes)?
Do you have problem areas in the key (e.g. wispy hair) that necessitate masking and keying that portion of the shot only on a separate layer?

Pulling as good-looking key isn't always straightforward. Sometimes it's tough.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: changing green screen color
by on May 11, 2011 at 3:56:54 pm

That's most likely a result of Keylight's built-in spill suppression.
I usually bypass it by applying Keylight to a duplicate layer above the original, set to Screen Matte, and used as a Luma Matte for the original layer. I then use a Hue/Sat effect to decrease the spill.
But keep in mind than one application of a keyer is rarely 100% effective, particularly if the subject was poorly lit, or if the chroma subsampling of the source media is less than 4:2:2.
In that case it's more effective to use one instance of the keyer to generate a core matte, and another for the edge. There are tutorials for this technique online, as well as some step-by-steps in this forum.
And no AE compositer should be without a copy of Mark Christiansen's excellent Studio Techniques, which covers the finer points of keying in exhaustive depth.

Oh yea, and everything Dave said as well.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: changing green screen color
by on May 11, 2011 at 6:14:59 pm

Great advice about keying from everyone.
Alternate/Non-keying route would be to apply Hue/Saturation to your footage. Click the drop-down arrow in the effect (where it says master) and pick the greens. You can tweak it to effect certain colors more or less and then swing the hue and saturation sliders any which way you choose.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Johnny SmithRe: changing green screen color
by on May 11, 2011 at 11:33:57 pm

Yes, thanks for the help, i'll check out more tutorials. Keying 36 shots took me hours to do, glad i'm not alone and nobody keying with a push of a button.

and duh, how embarrassing, hue and color correcting of course! I shouldn't be asking questions at 4 in the morning.

Return to posts index

Mikael KRe: changing green screen color
by on May 17, 2011 at 9:22:42 pm

Yes, using the Hue/Sat filter set to the green channel is OK but what if you want to make the greenscreen brighter, much brighter. Right now i´m struggling getting this to work. The reason that I just want to shift the color instead of pulling a key is that I want to preserve the shadows of a person as mush as I can. The Hue/Sat filter does not go the whole way in turning the greenscreen bright enough, even at brightness value 100. What Im left with is a grayish background that and cant make any additional changes to since its now gray instead of green, hmmm.

There must be some "tricky" way to to shift the color and brightness with more filters than just the Hue/Sat filter in the same filter hierarchy.

Is there any smart way that Keylight can change the color and brightness of the greenscren instead of just pulling it?

regards
Mike

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: changing green screen color
by on May 17, 2011 at 9:52:21 pm

Why don't you save yourself a lot of grief and just fake the shadow with a duplicate of the key you pull?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]