ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Edit part of a clip in after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce LauderEdit part of a clip in after effects
by on May 4, 2011 at 4:12:27 pm

Hello - I'm new to after effects, but love the programme. I am trying to create a promotional video for my national league basketball team and would reaally like to make one of the players colour, with the rest of the clip in black and white - can this be done? I have used Mocha to create a track of the player but cannot now import it into After effects (I just get rubbish when I do) Is this along thr ight lines? Unfotunately because players move so much, I've had to track it manually so really hope I can now do something with it!!

Any help or comments very much appreciated

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Edit part of a clip in after effects
by on May 5, 2011 at 4:49:25 pm

Not really sure Mocha is going to work, unless you are are going to loosely cut the guy out with a mask and have the mask follow the track.

Unfortunately, to do this effect you need to cut the guy out. One way to do that is by using masks and animating them. Start with one for the head. Mask shape in the middle of your clip and keyframe. Go to the beginning and keframe. Now split the difference. Keep splitting the differnence until the mask follows the head. Repeat for torso, legs, arms, ball. Now you composite that over a desaturated version of the entire video.

You could use a very loose mask(feathered), if the action is fast enough, camera movement, might work.

Finally you will want to check out the rotobrush. It's advanced and you will definetly want to check out the tutorials at

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Edit part of a clip in after effects
by on May 11, 2011 at 6:09:38 pm

What you need and what John is talking about is called Rotoscoping. John gave some good tips. This page [link] has a ton more.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved