ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

two newbie after effects questions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom edwards
two newbie after effects questions
on May 4, 2011 at 3:25:55 am

hi folks,
i've been using sony vegas for several years - i've recently been looking into after effects. i have two questions:

1. can i do a soup to nuts video in ae (like i can in vegas)? or is the program intended to just "add effects" as the title of the program suggests? in other words, can i, or does it make sense to, bring various pieces of footage into ae, edit it to create my story, adding fx as i go along ultimately rendering it out as a completed production?

2. regarding workflow - it's best to create a video in vegas (or premiere pro on occasion) and then pop in into AE for post production (true or false). or if i "know" a clip is in need of enhancements, does it make sense to make changes to it in AE, render it, and stick that clip into vegas?

i realize these questions are a tad redundant. i've spent a lot of time studying the amazing free AE tutorials at videocopilot.com and want to make sure i'm on the right path.
thanks
tom edwards
janesville, wi

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: two newbie after effects questions
on May 4, 2011 at 3:48:39 am

[tom edwards] "....is the program intended to just "add effects" as the title of the program suggests?"

That is indeed how the application is intended to be used.

[tom edwards] "...it's best to create a video in vegas (or premiere pro on occasion) and then pop in into AE for post production (true or false)"

True. that's how the application wass initially intended to be used, and if you ask me, it hasn't changed its spots one whit.

AE is an effects and compositing application. That's what it is. If you treat it as such, you will have no problems. There are those who think it is more. They have problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

tom edwards
on May 4, 2011 at 6:02:44 am

thanks dave - i appreciate your reply.
so... i bring an project/composition/production from vegas - into AE, add all the cool fx, then render a final in AE?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 4, 2011 at 2:46:46 pm

That's one way. The other way is to add effects to just the shots that need them.... which may be every one, in your case.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

tom edwards
on May 4, 2011 at 4:21:59 pm

dave,
once again - thanks for your reply.
appreciate the help.
tom

Return to posts index