ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

move CTI specific frames

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Beall
move CTI specific frames
on May 2, 2011 at 2:32:49 pm

Is there an easy way to move the CTI a specific number of frames?

In other software, I can click on the current time and type "-21" or "+53" to move the CTI back 21 frames or forward 53 frames..

How can I do this in AE?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: move CTI specific frames
on May 2, 2011 at 2:56:39 pm

[Matthew Beall] "How can I do this in AE?"

I haven't used this particular feature in a LONG time, but when I last used it it's pretty much the way you describe. You highlight the time, append the number of frames you want the cursor to move, and hit the return key.

The last time I used it, you had to type "+-27" to go backwards 27 frames. Kinda weird, but that's how it worked.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Gandillon
on May 2, 2011 at 5:51:06 pm

That is still how it works. I use it frequently.

Click on the CTI and use "+" to go forward and "+-" to go backwards.

Dave, out of curiosity since you don't use this feature, is there a way to move specific numbers of frames that you find easier? Or do you just not often need to do so?

jeff g

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 2, 2011 at 5:58:29 pm

I just don't have to use AE like that very often.
Besides, I'd just as soon use a keyboard shortcut: Shift-Command-Rt/Lft Arrow key moves the cursor 10 frames in either direction, and I've gotten used to using it.

I'm also very scrupulous about trimming layers to the precise length they need to be. It's easy to highlight a layer and hit the o key to go to the layer's out point.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on May 2, 2011 at 5:59:00 pm

Yes, the way Dave L. described is how it works in AE ... you have to type + or - then 27 to move 27 frames forward or backward ... I assume it works that way because there has to be a way to distinguish between moving forward or backwards ... if you just type 27, it will just go to frame 27 regardless of the current position.

By the way, basic math functions also work in most other AE fields too ... you can type +, -, * (multiply), or / (divide) to change values like position, rotation, scale, etc. instead of moving in random increments. I usually change values by just dragging the number field to the left or right, but the math way comes in very handy when working on animations or layer changes that have to be symmetrical or precise in some other way ... letting AE do the math keeps me from overworking my little pea brain.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 3, 2011 at 10:06:41 am

BTW, all this and more is in After Effects Help:
"Move the current-time indicator (CTI)"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 3, 2011 at 10:09:30 am

BTW, all this and more is in After Effects Help:
"Move the current-time indicator (CTI)"

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]