ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Concerning a situation in which imported video gained better quality.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Esther DiepenhorstConcerning a situation in which imported video gained better quality.
by on May 2, 2011 at 10:27:56 am

I was wondering why this happened, so I figured I should just ask.
It isn't a problem or anything but I just wondered how it happened.

You see me and some friends were filming with a DV camera, setting on widescreen.
Rest was all pretty basic, I put the videos on a computer and took the raw material with me so I could edit somewhere else. We are making matte paintings in the videos.

What I found strange was that when I opened the raw material with quicktime (imported it on mac, so they're .mov) I saw that everything was very pixel-ish and lq.
It scared me a little but when I imported it into After Effects I found out that the raw material suddenly gained quality (?), it wasn't as pixel-ish anymore and was decent in fact.

I was wondering how that could happen?
I also have screen shots from 2 of the same scenes, one opened in quicktime and the other of what I saw in After Effects. Is there some data in the videofile that cannot be read in quicktime or something?
I hope someone can answer it, I'm just curious about it that's all.

In quicktime:
http://img140.imageshack.us/i/waarisjohan.png/

In After Effects:
http://img217.imageshack.us/i/cs3masterrace.png/

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Concerning a situation in which imported video gained better quality.
by on May 2, 2011 at 10:53:17 am

Quicktime Player defaults to displaying DV footage in low quality mode. In the Show Movie Properties > Video Track dialogue, High Quality can be enabled. In QT preferences, High Quality can be enabled as the default. So you were probably seeing it low quality, with interlacing.

AE deinterlaces on import, and displays at full quality.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Concerning a situation in which imported video gained better quality.
by on May 2, 2011 at 6:11:51 pm

Just to add to Joey's answer something related that you might find useful to know ... there are scripts out there that can run on a batch of MOVs to change all of them to High Quality without having to open each one manually. I don't recall the names or exactly where to find since I try my best to avoid DV footage like the plague, but I'm sure Google will know where to find them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]