ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

My After Effects needs RED BULL

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will SchryverMy After Effects needs RED BULL
by on Apr 27, 2011 at 6:05:20 pm

Hi,

I am very new to Adobe CS5 and am just trying to teach myself via tutorials etc etc
So pls excuse the lack of knowledge

Having some trouble with After Effects running so slowly and without sound to the point where it's almost useless, now i have read hundreds of post about this and have messed about with RAM preferences and everything like that but still no joy

When creating a 10sec flashy title effect not a problem will do this without too much fuss but introduce some video and it grinds to a halt.

I purchased Digieffects Damage package which has some cool effects but if i apply them 1. The preview takes an age making preset adjustments almost impossible 2. If you finally battle through it when you come to render and export it comes out jittery and will only play back correctly in Premiere Pro and even if you re render and create a film from Premiere Pro the Jitteryness re appears

Can anyone shed some light on this for me before i through my Mac out the window

System is iMac i7 8GB Mac OS X 10.6.7
After effects preferences:
Ram reserved for other applications 2GB
Installed CPU's 8
RAM allocation per background 1.5GB
Actual CPU's Used 2

Source footage is from a Sony NEX 5 AVCHD

Should possibly ad Premiere Pro works perfectly without a hitch

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: My After Effects needs RED BULL
by on Apr 27, 2011 at 6:31:33 pm

Turn off multiprocessing. Do it now.

At work I have a dual quad-core machine with 8 gigs, and I wouldn't DREAM of using multiprocessing: I simply don't have enough memory to make it work efficiently.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: My After Effects needs RED BULL
by on Apr 27, 2011 at 6:33:35 pm

i don't know how exactly much total ram you have, but with 2gb of ram for other apps and 1.5gb per bg processes and only 2 cpus used, i'd say you may not have enough to make multiprocessing worthwhile.. you may want to disable it. also, if you are short on ram (less than 6gb) quit other apps that are running while working in ae.

however, i don't think that is the main source of your problem. it sounds like everything is working fairly well until you add footage. and you mention that (at least some of) the footage is avchd. avchd uses more processing power to decode than many other codecs, so you might try converting it to another codec, like quicktime's lossless animation, or photo-jpeg (set quality in the 90s). these files will be larger, but they will take significantly less cpu load to decode. you should be able to export the avchd footage from premiere to either of the quicktime codecs i mentioned above.

another problem that can happen is if ae's cache preference is set to use disk caching and the footage is on the same disk as the cache. if that's the case, you might try disabling ae's disk cache.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Will SchryverRe: My After Effects needs RED BULL
by on Apr 27, 2011 at 6:44:33 pm

Ok Multi processing turned off
Disk Cache was already disabled

I think you may be on to something with the footage decoding as that seems to be the constant

Being new to all this i am struggling to figure out when i should be using Pr and when to be using Ae

Am i correct in thinking i could cut all my footage together in Pr export in something other than AVCHD and open up in Ae and start adding effects??

Or do you pull certain clips from Pr and effects in Ae then export back to Pr for final export??

Really appreciate your help guys

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: My After Effects needs RED BULL
by on Apr 27, 2011 at 7:32:03 pm

[Will Schryver] "Am i correct in thinking i could cut all my footage together in Pr export in something other than AVCHD and open up in Ae and start adding effects??

Or do you pull certain clips from Pr and effects in Ae then export back to Pr for final export??"

Yes. It depends on the project. I have done both.
In any case, I never use AE for my final output.
I render a lossless file out of it (uncompressed AVI, Quicktime with the PNG codec, or Quicktime with the Animation codec) and use the resulting file in a sequence in Premiere or, if AE was my last step of making changes to the video I use the resulting file in the Adobe Media Encoder for the final compression.

Quick question. Are you using spacebar to do your previews or are you doing a proper RAM preview by pressing 0 on the numeric keypad?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2011 at 8:03:19 pm

I am using the space bar to preview, takes about a minute to preview 1 second and will only preview about 5 seconds.

You can imagine what thats like trying to add effects to a minute long clip

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: My After Effects needs RED BULL
by on Apr 27, 2011 at 8:28:07 pm

[Will Schryver] "I am using the space bar to preview..."

Very bad choice. You need to read up on previewing the proper way:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

It may mention using the space bar, but it's the worst way to preview there is. And since you're so new to AE, I'm going to strongly recommend that you begin at the beginning:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

There are just too many little things to know in AE to let a newcomer jump into the deep end of the pool.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2011 at 8:40:19 pm

Ok thanks,

I think your right theres just to much to start at the top, i'll get reading

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2011 at 8:06:03 pm

Just added a Digieffect effect to a 10 sec animation and again when saving the its all jagged like its only rendered 50% of the frames

Output was Quicktime Jpeg

Is an imac i7 with 8Gig of RAM not enough to run After Effects??????

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: My After Effects needs RED BULL
by on Apr 28, 2011 at 1:59:31 pm

What do you mean "when saving the its all jagged"? If you rendered it out and it's playing back jerky, it likely has nothing to do with your processor or RAM, it's your hard drive. You wouldn't believe how huge an uncompressed video file is, if all you're used to is HDV, h.264, MPEG-4, etc. Uncompressed video is huge. And your hard drive cannot send the data fast enough. (This page [link] talks about it.) Now, uncompressed video is the right thing to render out of AE. You then take it into your editing program (like Premiere) to add it to your sequence or you take it into something like the Adobe Media Encoder for your final compression.

And I will second Dave's suggestion of going to that link. You must start at the beginning or you will get very frustrated.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]