ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Text looks jagged in 32 bit

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry SneedeText looks jagged in 32 bit
by on Apr 27, 2011 at 2:50:05 pm

I want to take advantage of the nice blurs you can get with super white text in 32 bit, but the text looks a bit jagged in 32 bit. Is this a font thing or something?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Text looks jagged in 32 bit
by on Apr 27, 2011 at 3:02:18 pm

You may be using other effects that are only 8 or 16 bit; not all effects -- in fact, very few of them -- work seamlessly in 32-bit.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jerry SneedeRe: Text looks jagged in 32 bit
by on Apr 27, 2011 at 3:08:42 pm

The text looks jagged before any effects are applied. I open a new composition, use the text tool, and it's jagged right from the start.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2011 at 3:30:41 pm

Let me guess: it's not a square-pixel comp. At 1080, a square-pixel comp would be 1920x1080, and at 720 it would be 1280x720. A quick check of the comp settings will confirm or deny that.

It you're working in rectangular (not square) pixels, you're just seeing the results of using the Pixel Aspect Ratio Compensation switch at the bottom of the comp window; it looks like an arrow with two heads.

Toggled one way, the picture looks funny but everything's nice 'n smooth. Toggled the other way, the picture looks right but everything's jagged-looking. Rest assured that everything renders nice 'n smooth.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2011 at 3:43:38 pm

I wish that was the case. The comp is square pixels. I've rendered a test and the text looks jagged viewing in the finder and Final Cut.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2011 at 3:54:14 pm

It's probably interlaced then. It ought to look fine on your broadcast monitor in FCP; you can't tell a thing about image quality using those little pea-shooter FCP viewers.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2011 at 4:07:40 pm

Nope, doesn't look good in the crt monitor either.

I can click through the 8, 16 and 32 bit settings and can see the text go from being nice and smooth on 8 and 16, then go jagged on 32.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted this question in the Basic forum. I've been using AE for quite a while, just thought this might be a simple thing. I might try posting in the other forum, see if anyone else has had this problem.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2011 at 4:19:28 pm

Wait a minute: you said you were trying to use super-white, something that will send lesser bit depths into a tailspin.
What happens if you nest your 32-bit comp in a 16-bit comp and render?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2011 at 4:50:18 pm

I don't think you can have a comp that's 16 and one that's 32 - it's the project itself that is one or the other.

On your AE, do you get the same results I am? It doesn't matter what comp size or resolution I choose - I open a comp, put down some text, make it super white (like 3,3,3 on the RGB) and it's jagged.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Text looks jagged in 32 bit
by on May 3, 2011 at 4:52:58 pm

[Jerry Sneede] "On your AE, do you get the same results I am? It doesn't matter what comp size or resolution I choose - I open a comp, put down some text, make it super white (like 3,3,3 on the RGB) and it's jagged."

Simple answer is don't go above white if you're not blurring your text.

In the same way that values above white will give you more intense blurs, they intensify the anti-aliasing sampling that is done on the edges of the text which causes the anti-aliasing to be less effective.

An alternative if you must have super white text immediately would be apply a very slight blur to it, but I would consider animating the text color from white to super white using a text animator.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Text looks jagged in 32 bit
by on Apr 27, 2011 at 4:12:29 pm

What font are you using? Does it look fine in 16 bit and 8 bit? Can you provide screenshots?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2011 at 5:21:30 pm

It doesn't seem to matter what font I use. Yes, they look fine in 8 and 16. Not sure how to include screen shot.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2011 at 5:25:20 pm

Time for a workaround, I think: two identical text layers set to normal white, the upper text layer using the Add blend mode. Is it any better?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2011 at 7:40:36 pm

Yes, when I do two regular white, top one set to add, it gets jagged just like when it's set to super white (this is in 32 bit)

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Text looks jagged in 32 bit
by on Apr 28, 2011 at 2:05:15 pm

Are you using OpenGL?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]