ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Export interlaced footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Thomas
Export interlaced footage
on Apr 22, 2011 at 11:32:47 pm

Hi, I'm working on CS3 and CS4 (CS4 is on a friend's stronger computer for rendering my project).

I have NTSC footage (lower field, AVI), that I applied Red Giant "Frames" to, to de-interlace, which produced adequate results... but I wanted to make an interlaced version of my movie as well.

I can't seem to export my project without getting the "combing" effect.

Can anyone explain to me, or point me in the right direction for instructions on proper settings to export interlaced footage with the best results?

Thanks!

Marc

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Export interlaced footage
on Apr 23, 2011 at 4:50:22 pm

Since we don't know what you intend to DO with your AE work, we can't tell you how to proceed.

If this whole deinterlacing business is just a matter of taste, and because you think it looks icky, know this: people have been working with interlaced video for decades without problems. But it all depends on how you're going to use it: we need to know your final destination.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Marc Thomas
on Apr 23, 2011 at 5:28:51 pm

Thanks for the response Dave.

I plan to export as Quicktime Animation to re-import into Premiere Pro to then re-export as mpeg2 for DVD.

I initially deinterlaced because I was under the impression (which I only recently discovered to be false) that AE deinterlaced by default.

So I figured I'd go with it, and use "Frames" on my short film to make the deinterlace look better and in the end I'd have something that looked less like video.

So, now I'd like to export a version that is interlaced like the original footage, which brings me back to my original problem, which is that when I export as interlaced... it looks bad.

To be clear: if I import my AVI, do absolutely nothing to it, and export as AVI (interlaced, lower field), I get "combing" which wasn't there in the original video file (which is interlaced, lower field).

There has to be something I'm missing, as it seems that I should logically be able to export something that at least looks similar to what I've imported?

Thanks,

Marc

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:00:14 pm

If you import interlaced video, interpret the video in the proper field order and RENDER (using the AE Render Queue -- don't export unless you have no other choice) in the proper field order , the video will be just fine.

Put it in your editing application and check it out.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Marc Thomas
on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:01:25 pm

Thanks again Dave,

When I said "export", I meant "render" with Render Queue (sorry for the misunderstanding).

After many tests... I realized that interpreting the footage as "lower" and then rendering as "field render: lower" Quicktime Animation gave me jagged combing effects , as opposed to interpreting as "lower" and rendering as field render: "off" (which looked amazing and smooth when viewed in Quicktime), which I find confusing.

Rendering both options ("lower" and "off") as AVI look almost identical in windows media player. And exporting both options as mpeg2 from Premiere Pro look about the same as well (viewed through WinDVD). Which leaves me still unsure of which to choose?

Thanks for your help,

Marc

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:43:43 pm

That's pretty screwy behavior. Was this stuff shot as progressive or interlaced?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Marc Thomas
on Apr 28, 2011 at 12:36:54 am

Tell me about it!

It was shot as interlaced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 28, 2011 at 3:05:53 pm

Then you probably have a problem with field order. 1080 video is UPPER field first. Video for a DVD -- no matter which codec you use when you render in AE -- is LOWER field first. 720 P video has NO field order: it's always frames

Thus, if you interpret the video in the proper field order in AE, and Render to the proper field order of your destination video, life should be good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]