ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

alpha channel in fcp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Schweenalpha channel in fcp
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 5:04:03 pm

This may be the most basic question, but I cannot find any answers anywhere about how to do what I need to do. I have about 15 layers in FCP and all I want to do is to be able to export an MOV with a ALPHA channel so that I can re-import into FCP with ALPHA. I basically want to re-create multiples of the same 15 layered piece of video over and over eachother. This seems like a very basic thing that I am trying to do, and yet I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add an ALPHA channel and export it. I can easily do this in Photoshop, but not in FCP. Please help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: alpha channel in fcp
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 7:07:43 pm

First thing: DON'T EXPORT! Get into the habit of rendering using the AE Render Queue. And for FCP:
Select a Quicktime codec that supports alpha channels: in order of desirability they are ProRes 4444 (if
  • you have it), PNG (the codec, not the image sequence), and Animation (an oldie, but still a goodie).
  • In the Output Module, select Millions of Colors +, RGB + Alpha, and Straight (not Premultiplied).

That's all there is to it. If you don't get transparency in FCP, you've screwed up your work in AE somehow.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved