ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Workflow solution?: collect comp and related files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg NeumayerWorkflow solution?: collect comp and related files
by on Apr 21, 2011 at 10:41:49 pm

Does AE provide a way to extract/isolate a comp and any associated files?
I'd like something that works much like Collect Files, but on a composition level.

For example, I've got an ongoing project file where I make product video segments for a client. Often, I'm reusing assets and comps(with pre-comps) and frequently making a duplicate and tweaking a complicated particle composition that just needs a fresh movement from another angle. Over the last year, I've considered starting a new project to keep my file size reasonable, but the first thing I'd do is just import my old file so I have access to all my old assets and more importantly, older comps (with many layers of pre-comps) that just need a new look while keeping most of the same elements and effects. So, importing the old project file will really get me nowhere toward a more efficient file since it's very laborious to go through and try to dissect and delete comps, pre-comps, and source files that aren't specifically needed in this new version. My proj file is getting huge, taking 15 sec. to save, and is nearly impossible to archive and/or transfer if I need to hand it off. I'd like to be able to extract any given comp and it's linked files, including lights and solids. I don't necessarily need it to be saved to a new file, just "collecting" it to a folder in my proj window would be adequate. Then I could duplicate the whole project and delete any unreferenced files for that comp.

Any work-flow solutions? Script?
Did I miss this in my Collect Files tutorial?

Antifreeze Design

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Workflow solution?: collect comp and related files
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:11:16 pm

You can use the Reduce files(or is it called Reduce Project?) command; AE will remove all the footage except the the footage associated with the comps YOU select in the project window. That includes removing the comps that you don't select. It will follow a hierarchical path, i.e. it will look at precomps and nested comps and the footage within in them as well.

But as you might imagine, it's still best to do this in a duplicated project file.

Once you've reduced the files, you can run the collect files command... on the project that you already saved for safety's sake.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Greg NeumayerRe: Workflow solution?: collect comp and related files
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:48:32 pm

Ah-ha! I hadn't thought of using reduce like that.
As always, glad to see your avatar around.

(How do you get any work done with some much time on the COW? :)

Antifreeze Design

Return to posts index

Tom DurhamRe: Workflow solution?: collect comp and related files
by on Feb 6, 2013 at 10:40:35 pm

Hi Dave,

Here's a related question... and maybe you've answered it. But no matter what I do collecting and reducing, I can't get it to work.

I have a huge project will all kinds of comps and layers and source files. I want to create a new project, with only one of the comps, with only its related precomps and source files.

Every time I try to get that result, the new project has all the comps in it--comps that are not related to the one I had selected.

I'm very confused about what it's doing!!!

YOU can help save TimeSpace. Join the Chronos Protectorate!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved