ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

anyone compared various alpha codecs?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Weston Woodburyanyone compared various alpha codecs?
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 4:12:24 am

Hey all, new to posting, but CC is always a great search resource.

I'm curious if anyone has some input on exporting different codecs w/ alpha. Most specifically DNxHD..

DNxHD, ProRes 444, QT Animation, image sequences of sorts, PNG codec, Cineform... I realize there's differences in quality, bit depth, bit rate; but as far as the alpha channel, are there differences from say, DNxHD's alpha vs. QT Animation's alpha and other codecs?

Thanks, input appreciated!

- weston

letter arrangements experienced, in order of descending preference: PP CS5 AE MC MBS GVE FCP

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: anyone compared various alpha codecs?
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 10:04:31 pm

Actually, you might be better off posting this in the Avid or Final Cut Pro forums. There are a few people who both Avid and FCP experience in them.

Most AE people tend to stick with one NLE; there isn't much Avid-FCP cross-pollination among them.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Weston WoodburyRe: anyone compared various alpha codecs?
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 10:51:33 pm

Dave,

Thanks!

I don't need it to go to any specific NLE, I'm only wondering about output from AE to different types of codec's w/ alpha. Is the alpha channel going to be worse is some way if I use something like DNxHD vs. animation or png codec?

Maybe I'll do some quick tests and see if I can see any noticeable differences. I could even try each file type in different NLE's.

Also, I didn't see the regular 'after effects' forum or I would've probably posted there.

Thx,

- weston
letter arrangements: PP CS5 AE MC MBS GVE FCP

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2012 at 7:45:39 am

In case anyone's searching and digs up this thread?:

I've since settled on DNxHD for any type of alpha work out of After Effects. It's seems to be the least problem prone from everything else I've tried. It yields great results, actually, quality is fantastic even at some of the lower bitrates.

Only exception is sometimes if it's a final output deliverable for broadcast equipment, some of that stuff needs image sequences. Both PNG and TGA with alpha seem solid.

Cut and conquer! :)

- Weston
my letter arrangements: PP CS55 AE MC MBS BMDDR GVE FCP

Return to posts index

Luke McFaddenRe: anyone compared various alpha codecs?
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 9:15:54 pm

What export settings are you using with DNxHD? I can't seem to get an alpha channel that works in PP?

I feel like ive tried all the options too, aiming to get the 36 8bit working.

Should I use RGB? Alpha as uncompressed? In PP my alpha is just black, whereas with a PNG in QuickTime it works fine (although horrible playback in QuickTime itself.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 5, 2012 at 9:35:11 pm

Ola Luke,

2 things you need to make sure of when exporting DNx with alpha from After Effects:

Inside the DNxHD settings (that's the "Codec Settings" just below where you pick DNxHD for the Video Codec), make sure Alpha is set to compressed or uncompressed (I haven't been able to tell the difference) instead of "none".

Then, Make sure on your "Video Output" that RGB+Alpha is picked on the Channels, and "Trillions of Colors+" is picked on the Depth.

You'll get alpha come through with those. 709 vs RGB is another matter, that doesn't deal with whether or not alpha is embedded into the file.

Hope this helps,

Cheers
- wb

- Weston
my letter arrangements: PP CS55 AE MC MBS BMDDR GVE FCP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]