ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Another After Effect Composition Settings Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph CampbellAnother After Effect Composition Settings Question
by on Apr 19, 2011 at 8:43:23 pm

I'm still fairly new to After Affects and I am unable to find a definite answer to my question.

I'm trying to figure out what settings do I need when creating my composition.

Additional Info:
1. I want widescreen footage.
2. I will be adding black bars to the top & Bottom of my comp(film look)
3. Im shooting with a Sony Nex Vg-10 which outputs 1080p footage
4. Importing final comps to Encore, to put on DVD.

My Question:
Do I select NTSC or NTSC widescreen? DV or D1
If I select NTSC widescreen, can I render this to fit on a standard DVD without having to modify aspect ratio or comp size.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Another After Effect Composition Settings Question
by on Apr 19, 2011 at 10:31:11 pm

You want your final comp to be NTSC Widescreen.
What happens when you use video in Encore that fits those settings is that it creates an anamorphic widescreen DVD. What that means is that on a 4:3 TV, you'll have the black bars at the top and bottom, but on a 16:9 (widescreen) TV, it'll fill the screen like it's supposed to.

Now, keep in mind a DVD can only do video at 720x480.

Your camera is shooting at 1920x1080. If you're planning to do a lot of motion stabilization or digital zooming on your picture, that's fine, but if not, you might as well set your camera to record at a smaller frame size if it has that option. (Unless you're planning to include an HD version of your video on the DVD-ROM portion of the disc for them to play back in a computer. In which case, you'll want your AE comp sizes to all be 1920x1080.)

In any case, you should render a lossless file out of AE and use Adobe Media Encoder to do your final compression. It has a preset for MPEG-2 DVD. Make sure you get the pixel aspect ratio correct. (It should match the NTSC widescreen preset in AE.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Joseph CampbellRe: Another After Effect Composition Settings Question
by on Apr 21, 2011 at 4:55:28 pm

So, If i wanted black bars to appear on a wide screen tv, i would still need to manually add them with in my composition?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Another After Effect Composition Settings Question
by on Apr 21, 2011 at 5:41:28 pm

Nope. If you make a 16x9 (aka Widescreen) DVD, your DVD player should be smart enough to show it in 16x9 on a widescreen TV.

And since 4x3 Standard-Definition TV will be going the way of the 8-track tape in time, I'd keep this project in HD until you're ready to create the DVD.

You may only do certain shots of the project in AE, and if that's so, stay in HD in AE, bring those shots into your editing application, and make the files for the DVD in your editing application.

If the entire project -- the whole shootin' match, mind you -- will come into AE, continue to work in HD until the very end. Then make the comp that Michael recommends, nest the HD comp inside it, scale the nested comp to fit the DV widescreen comp, and render the DV Widescreen comp.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2011 at 5:49:08 pm

Hello Dave,

I know when I create in widescreen, It will show wide screen. But wouldn't it fix the entire comp to the TV size...instead of the film look i want to create.. ie..http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/5463/cap0257lj.jpg

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2011 at 6:07:17 pm

Oh, you're going for something like a 2.35:1 screen aspect ratio. If you need the black bars at the top & bottom to do so, you'll need them all the way through the project, no you'd naturally need them included in the video when you create the DVD. There's NO widescreen TV nor DVD player that automatically does 2.35:1. You have to fake it in a 16x9 project for both editing and effects.

Unless you're shooting with something like a RED camera or an Arri Alexa just to name just a couple of high-end cameras, every HD camera you use will shoot 16x9.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2011 at 6:18:27 pm

Right,, Thats what I was trying to understand.

*So I will create a comp NTSC widescreen with aspect ration 16:9
*create me black bars within the composition.

You mentioned doing a HD comp then nesting that in the NTSC widescreen?
What HD comp settings should I create in first?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2011 at 6:48:53 pm

If you shoot 1080, then it's 1920x1080. f you shoot 720, it's 1280x720.

And here's a frame rate admonition:
If you shoot at a 23.976 frame rate (aka 23.98), don't forget to remove the pulldown in the footage before you even begin to edit.

The lone exception: shooting on a Panasonic P2 camera that can shoot 720 24 PN. Unless you use a camera that you could sell to buy a brand-new Corvette, that's it among reasonably-priced cameras.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]