ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Basic Masking? I think!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ravi Kanda
Basic Masking? I think!
on Apr 18, 2011 at 8:30:44 pm

Hi Guys

I was wondering if somebody could help me on some AE basics.

I just wanted to know how I would create these bars in AE?

I did this in Photoshop but wish to do it in AE.

Would I have to create 2 yellow rectangle shape layers and use a red mask layer to cover the yellow?

Also, what is the maximum movie length I could import into AE to animate?

Is it better to edit in my movie editor before I bring the footage into AE? Or should I just edit it all in AE?

Sorry, I'm a total newbie.

All help would be great!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Basic Masking? I think!
on Apr 18, 2011 at 9:20:11 pm

[Ravi Kanda] "I did this in Photoshop but wish to do it in AE."

AE is a lot like Photoshop in several ways, but just different enough to make learning it really aggravating without some help. I think I can Illustrate what I mean.....

[Ravi Kanda] "Would I have to create 2 yellow rectangle shape layers and use a red mask layer to cover the yellow?"

• I'd make ONE rectangular shape layer and duplicate it three times. Now they're all the same size.
  • Temporarily turn off the visibility on the bottom two, and position the top two as desired.
  • Temporarily turn off the visibility on the top two, turn the bottom two back on, and change their colors to red. Now turn every layer back on.
  • Copy the position property from a yellow layer to a red layer. Move the red layers to the top so they hide the yellow ones.
  • Make a comp-sized solid, duplicate it, and use the solids as track mattes for the red layers. Animate the solids' position properties to reveal the red layers; to get that sudden motion, you can use Hold keyframes.
Sound a little too much like Greek for your tastes? If so, I recommend beginning at the beginning:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

If you can afford the price of a new video game, this is even better:
http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321734866

[Ravi Kanda] "Also, what is the maximum movie length I could import into AE to animate?"

Personally, I wouldn't go anything past four hours.

[Ravi Kanda] "Is it better to edit in my movie editor before I bring the footage into AE?"

Absolutely! As an editing application, AE stinks on ice! You're MUCH better off editing before you begin AE work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 18, 2011 at 9:35:12 pm

One of the great things about Adobe's software is that they work so well together. If you edit your video in Premiere, you can import your Premiere sequence into AE and you'll have all the video files there with each cut as a separate layer to work your magic on it.
:)
I would very highly recommend the resources Dave pointed you to. You must get a solid foundation in AE first, or you will just end up frustrated.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Ravi Kanda
on Apr 18, 2011 at 10:43:31 pm

Dave, you're a legend. Thank you for that. I guess its very similar to how I did it in PS.

Michael, thanks for you comments. Much appreciated!

Even with PS, I threw myself in the deep end. Watching youtube links and learning it. But like everyone knows, doing it like this doesn't fully allow to understand the core of the program.

I'd love to really learn AE. Would you know what's the best route to take? Tutorial DVDS or actual courses?

I live in London, UK.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 19, 2011 at 1:12:50 pm

For AE training, I'll second Dave's comment that this DVD resource [link] is great.
Lynda.com is also an excellent resource for more training. (Not just for AE, but Photoshop, Illustrator, and much more.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 20, 2011 at 2:09:55 am

Um, I already directed you to two VERY GOOD training sources.

Here's a third: Total Training's After Effects DVDs.

Here's a fourth: Chris and Trish Myer's books on AE. No home should be without 'em.

If you go to an AE trainer or a class, you will pay through the nose for something you can learn on your own, at your own speed.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]