ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ram preview error

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc LucasRam preview error
by on Apr 16, 2011 at 1:32:03 pm

I'm getting a RAM preview error saying...

RAM preview needs 2 or more frames to playback.

My work area is about 3secs.

Also some of the time when I RAM preview the length of the selected area in the Timeline doesn't get to the end resulting in the section I selected only playing back part the way through. If I try and RAM preview again it has to do it all over again and not just render the outstanding amount, whay is that and why does that happen?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Ram preview error
by on Apr 16, 2011 at 5:55:48 pm

Do you have From Current Time checked in the Preview tab? If so, uncheck it.

You may not have enough RAM to preview your entire work area.

You can cache frames to a disk by enabling Disk Cache in the Media & Disk Cache tab in Preferences.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Marc LucasRe: Ram preview error
by on Apr 17, 2011 at 10:14:16 pm

Hi

No I haven't got 'From current time' checked. I have already got a cache folder set up.

I have 6.5 gig assigned to AE and 1.5 assigned to other apps (8 Gig RAM in total on machine)

I think the problem might of been not enough memory to preview the work area because I've tried to ram preview 45secs worth and it just stopped at about 30sec and started playing the timeline.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Ram preview error
by on Apr 18, 2011 at 3:04:55 pm

[Marc Lucas] "I've tried to ram preview 45secs worth and it just stopped at about 30sec and started playing the timeline."

In that particular case, you used up your memory. AE will use all the memory available to it for RAM Previews.

A couple of other things to consider:

8GB may seem like boatloads of RAM, but at work I have a dual quad-core machine and 8 gigs, and I don't even consider using multiprocessing -- I don't have enough memory to use it effectively. At home I have a dual quad-core machine and 24 gigs; multiprocessing works fine there.

You don't say which version of AE you have, but you should make sure you're fully updated... even if you have AE 9. The latest update to AE 9 came out AFTER AE 10 was released (I think it's 9.0.3), and Adobe came out with another update to AE 10 just last week.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Apr 18, 2011 at 3:19:41 pm

I'll have to get more RAM then;-)

I'm using AE 10.0.1 so I'm upto date at the minute.

Thanks for the comments

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Ram preview error
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 2:12:40 am

[Marc Lucas] "I'm using AE 10.0.1 so I'm upto date at the minute."

Not so fast: Adobe just released the free 10.0.2 update just last week.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Apr 20, 2011 at 9:39:24 am

Thanks for that.

Been having some problems recently with the automatic update function it started with Illustrator and I haven't got round to sorting it yet hence why I didn't know about this recent AE update.

Thanks for that!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]