ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Looking to create custom card wipe effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Morrison
Looking to create custom card wipe effect
on Apr 13, 2011 at 9:22:39 pm

Hi there,

So, the Card Wipe transition is exactly what I'm trying to achieve, only I need to be able to pick and choose which square flip over, then flip them back. So not the transition, just the animation.

I've managed to get the flip motion down by rotating two back to back 3D layers, the part I can't get at all is the shadows. When the 3D layers are half way through their rotation, I need them to be dark, as if a shadow is being cast on them. I can't seem to achieve this with lights without blowing out the image.

Is there any way I can apply a simple shadow "effect" to these 3D layers or any other solution that could help me out?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Looking to create custom card wipe effect
on Apr 13, 2011 at 9:55:06 pm

Card Wipe has been around for a LONG time. I don't think it's intended to be used as a 3D layer, because the little cards in the effect aren't really 3D.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Craig Morrison
on Apr 13, 2011 at 9:59:08 pm

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't saying I was in fact using card wipe, but instead that I was trying to re-create the exact effect, only so that I could have control over it.

My question was about how to match the shadowing of the square of card wipe. When Square A begins to turn, it is automatically dimmed with a shadow.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 13, 2011 at 10:05:46 pm

Do you have the 3D layers set to accept lights and cast shadows?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Craig Morrison
on Apr 13, 2011 at 10:50:26 pm

Yes, but I'm trying to avoid using lights because I can't get them to behave properly, they over expose the grid of images I'm using. Just wondering if there is any other way.

Return to posts index

Craig Morrison
on Apr 13, 2011 at 11:55:07 pm

Sorry just realizing how confusing I'm sounding.

To simplify it, imagine a rotating a playing card in 3d space. The side of the card that spins away from the light, is covered with a shadow. is there any way to produce that shadow without dealing with lights being placed, like a plug-in?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 14, 2011 at 2:04:09 pm

Learn how to use the lights. I use them all the time. It is a very important AE skill set to have. It is the best way to get what you are asking for.
If the lights are blowing out your image, make them not as bright. If you're having further difficulty, a bit more explanation (with pics?) for what's not working would be helpful.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]