ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

convert 24fps to 30fps (non-interlaced)?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john slatelyconvert 24fps to 30fps (non-interlaced)?
by on Apr 13, 2011 at 8:50:01 am

I need to convert a 24fps .mov to a 30fps .mov in AE. I was wondering what's the best way to do this?

I've tried the '3:4 pulldown' at render time, but that results in interlacing. And Andrew Kramer's FPS Converter script didn't work for me in CS5.

Please do let me know, thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: convert 24fps to 30fps (non-interlaced)?
by on Apr 13, 2011 at 3:04:48 pm

First thing: frame rate accuracy is essential in AE. I have five whole American Dollars that say you DON'T really mean "24" and "30", but that you actually mean 23.976 and 29.97.

Second thing: check out the following....
http://podcasts.creativecow.net/after-effects-tutorials-podcast/converting-...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

john slatelyRe: convert 24fps to 30fps (non-interlaced)?
by on Apr 14, 2011 at 10:35:26 am

thank you for the response, the link did the job.

well the request is for 24fps and 30fps, i believe it's digital content (so 23.976 and 29.976 don't apply correct?)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: convert 24fps to 30fps (non-interlaced)?
by on Apr 14, 2011 at 2:54:13 pm

[john slately] "..the request is for 24fps and 30fps, i believe it's digital content (so 23.976 and 29.976 don't apply correct?)"

What is the frame rate of the footage in AE? Highlight one of the clips in the AE project window, and look at the clip information at the very top. Frame rate information will be there.

Unless you're dealing with cameras that carry the same price tag as a brand new Corvette, this footage is either 29.97 (NTSC TV frame rate) or 23.976 (NTSC film frame rate). Typically, people who deal with pricey cameras already know how to do things in AE and wouldn't have to ask.

It doesn't matter if it's digital content or not. 23.976 plays just as easily over the web as 24, and it also works fine on DVD and Blu-Ray. 24 is a disaster waiting to happen if the content goes to Blu-Ray or DVD. I think the person doing the requesting doesn't realize that there's a difference between 30 and 29.97, and 24 and 23.976.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

john slatelyRe: convert 24fps to 30fps (non-interlaced)?
by on Apr 15, 2011 at 2:26:23 am

my mistake I should've pointed out that this was for digitally created animation not live footage.

but I still should consider your other points as this may go to DVD at some point, so I should stick to 29.97 for NTSC DVD.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: convert 24fps to 30fps (non-interlaced)?
by on Apr 16, 2011 at 6:04:15 pm

You can make a 23.976 fps DVD as well, but animated graphics tend to look less smooth. So yes, stick to 29.97.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]