ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Applying Holomatrix

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Dey
Applying Holomatrix
on Apr 8, 2011 at 8:00:40 pm

I am new to after effects and i have just gotten the holomatrix plug-in. Since i don't know a lot about either of the two i am trying to find information on both. When i apply holomatrix to a video in a composition, it turns the whole video into a hologram, so if i wanted to make only a person a hologram, how would i do that?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Applying Holomatrix
on Apr 8, 2011 at 8:16:38 pm

You'd have to isolate the subject from the background.

It can be done -- painfully -- by masking and animating the masks, sometimes on a frame-by-frame basis.

It can be done by chroma keying, assuming you have a good chroma key background, you can properly light for chroma key, and your camera is NOT a DSLR, HDV cam, Flip cam or XDCam. Okay, you can have one of those cameras, but don't expect jaw-dropping results.

It possibly can be done with AE's new Rotobrush, but you can NOT expect to use it intuitively -- you absolutely must use the Rotobush training resources linked to in AE's online help.

As they say, pick your poison.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Dey
on Apr 8, 2011 at 9:19:30 pm

Well thank you for the qucik response, I have after effects cs4, which would you chose to tackle this problem?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 8, 2011 at 10:02:40 pm

I'd go with a chroma key. Learn how to use Keylight:
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/keylight/training/
http://library.creativecow.net/search.php?q=keylight+%22Video+Tutorial%22

If you don't have access to studio lights, take your chroma key background outside and shoot it there. Keep the subject at least 6 feet away from the background. Use the best camera you can.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Matt Dey
on Apr 8, 2011 at 10:06:44 pm

alright thanks, what color do you recommend?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 8, 2011 at 10:12:27 pm

Unless you're doing something like shooting Kermit The Frog, green is a good choice. They sell chroma key green backgrounds at photo stores. Get one that's twice as big as you think you'll need.
If you've never shot for chroma key before, get one that's three times as big as you think you'll need.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Matt Dey
on Apr 8, 2011 at 10:28:16 pm

i dont need any special programs do I? i only have vegas pro 10 and after effects that should be fine right?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]