ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Open Layer greyed out?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick de KleijnOpen Layer greyed out?
by on Apr 8, 2011 at 3:14:41 pm

This really must be a stupid question, but I really can't figure out what I am doing wrong here.

Usually when you double click a layer in AE you get a layer window where you can edit your layer, and change the Anchor Point for example. Now I did that a couple of times in my composition, but I can't double click to enter the layer anymore. I checked this on my other computer and the same project, and there to I can't edit a layer using the double click. When I open a other project I can double click a layer.

Difference with a other project is; a) Right click in the composition window on a layer and Open Layer is grayed out on the problem-project b) Anchor Point options are showing up in the Comp window (left bottom of the screen).

I probably hit some keys I didn't supposed to hit, but I don't know which one, so I hope you guys can point me in the right direction.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Open Layer greyed out?
by on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:10:58 pm

Sounds like you have Collapsed Transformation switched on for the layer. This will prevent the Layer Panel from being accessible. You can temporarily switch of Collapse Transformation to access the Layer Panel for the layer in question - adjust what you need there, exit the Layer Panel and then switch on Collapse Transformation again.

And should you have a nested composition, you will need to hit the ALT key in conjunction with a double-click to access the Layer Panel.

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Nick de KleijnRe: Open Layer greyed out?
by on Apr 8, 2011 at 6:11:36 pm

That, indeed, was the collapse transformation button! Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved