ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3d layering

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Ball3d layering
by on Apr 8, 2011 at 1:31:21 am

When using 3D layers, sometimes the z-depth is dependent on how far back into space the layer is but other times it depends on the layering in the timeline.

For example lets say I have two 3D layers - 'One' z=100 and 'Two' z=50. Layer One is behind layer Two in z-space but if it is above it in the timeline, it will never appear behind it in the comp.

Other times, the position of layers in the timeline does not seem to matter. An object with a higher z-depth will always be behind one with a lower one.

If someone could tell me why this happens and how to control it that would be fantastic!!

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: 3d layering
by on Apr 8, 2011 at 1:21:02 pm

I've never seen that issue, and couldn't recreate it in CS4.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 3d layering
by on Apr 8, 2011 at 3:09:04 pm

Are you always looking at these layers in the Active Camera view?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gabriel BallRe: 3d layering
by on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:07:14 pm

I've recreated the issue in the linked file. in 'comp 1' the book comp will not move between the solids regardless of its z-position. It always visually stays between the two objects it is between in the timeline.

In comp 2, the book moves in front of and behind the solid layers as you would expect and does not matter what layer number it is in the timeline.

I'm sure there is a logical explanation for this... I just can't seem to find it.

Thanks again for you help!

Return to posts index

Ryan CuppernullRe: 3d layering
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 5:26:02 pm

could it be something to do with collapse transformations? never seen this issue before either..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved