ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE 3d text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carl Nenzen LovenAE 3d text
by on Apr 7, 2011 at 5:01:37 pm

Ok I am going to be honest.

I just started with AE, got the book and eveyrthing, but don't really have time to read it for this project.

So to my question.

I searched a little but didn't really get any answer.

Two questions really.

I want to make a 3d text in AE, i've seen it done for static shots, but for shots on a dolly and so on, how can I make it work? I tried using cinema 4D and it doesnt look that bad. Except for one thing.

Which is my second question.

How do I make the text "feel at home". Even of my footage is 5D 25fps converted to proRes 422, it still isn't as sharp as the text I got in the scene. The text ifself feels odd.

So first, easiest way to make 3d text in AE, for a moving stage?

And how to make the texture fit.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: AE 3d text
by on Apr 8, 2011 at 1:37:54 pm

You're asking to be taught the art of compositing in a post response.

I'm sorry to say it, but if your time is limited, you should probably turn down the project.
AE guru and Cow moderator Dave LaRonde gave a similar response recently that explains why and offers some helpful advice to the newbie. Rather than paraphrase him, I think you should give that thread a look and take his response to heart.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Carl Nenzen LovenRe: AE 3d text
by on Apr 8, 2011 at 1:51:12 pm

Oh, ok.

Well basically I just needed to hear how serious it was from another "real" source. A friend of mine claimed it was easier than ever.

But I'll finish my book of AE then bump this thread :)

Carl Nenzen Loven
Cinematic Arts student at CityU of Hong Kong

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: AE 3d text
by on Apr 8, 2011 at 2:45:30 pm

Well, it's certainly not rocket science, but it does require some study. Check out those links Dave provided, and see how quickly you're able to grok it.
You might be surprised at how quickly you're able to grasp the basics. From there you'll want to hone in on the technique of Motion Tracking, in particular the use of Mocha, a separate application that's bundled with AE. There are tons of tutorial resources for this on the web.
When you mention 3d text, it's important to differentiate between text which has real edge depth, and flat text that moves in 3d space. Both are possible in AE, but edge depth requires some creative hacks or 3rd party plug-ins.
As for making the text "blend-in", read up on Grain Matching, Transfer Modes, creating "Grunge", the use of Lights and Light Wrapping, etc.
Best of Luck in your studies!

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: AE 3d text
by on Apr 9, 2011 at 8:00:24 am

It is "easier than ever" with today's 3D and compositing software. When something is difficult and it becomes a little easier, this fulfills that definition.

Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved