ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Restricting lights to a single layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John WilsonRestricting lights to a single layer
by on Apr 2, 2011 at 2:43:11 pm

I have one single clip with a flag in the foreground and a destroyed town in the background, I am trying to create a distant light appearing like an explosion far away behind the destroyed town.

Sso I create an ambient light to make sure the spotlight doesn't darken the rest of the image, and then create the spotlight orange color and put it in place, however it lightens up the whole clip instead of the area behind the town, so I figure I mask it, so I duplicate the video layers and have one of them mask the town.

Now here is where I run into a problem, lights only affect 3D layers, hence the ambient disappears from the masked layer leaving an ugly line between the masked layer and the layer with the ambient, not to mention they are in different colors.

How would I go about to fix this? Or is there another approach to what I am attempting to do?

Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Jason MettlerRe: Restricting lights to a single layer
by on Apr 2, 2011 at 6:03:16 pm

Use a layer of the color you want. Mask it. Set it to 'Add' or 'Screen' and lower the transparency down to where you want. 10-15% maybe. Put the layer in the proper place in the hiearchy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved