ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Camera problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kels KnehansCamera problem
by on Apr 1, 2011 at 8:03:54 pm

I have After Effects CS5. I want to follow some text with the camera. I click layer > new camera and then layer > null object. Then I parent the camera to the null object. After this is when I run into problems. I click on the null and hit "p" to bring up position to move the camera and focus on specific words. The values change as I move the cursor, but the camera doesn't move at all. It is like it is stuck in place.I'm not sure what I did, but I've tried it several times now, trying to move both the camera and null values. Still nothing. Please help! Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Camera problem
by on Apr 1, 2011 at 9:29:40 pm

Be sure the null object is a 3d layer.
Be sure you're parenting the camera to the null, not the other way around. (Try it the other way to make sure you've got the order in your head correctly.)
Be sure your comp is set to Active camera, not a custom view.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Anna RoscoeRe: Camera problem
by on Jan 12, 2014 at 7:29:25 pm

I hope it's okay i'm digging up this topic, but I have exactly the same problem. And I have made sure the null object is a 3D layer, that the comp is set to active camera, and the camera is parented to the null.

I was following a tutorial for motion graphics/transitions. I have two clips lined up on top of each other, wanting to pan across them. I moved one of them to the right in the 3D space while the other one stays where it is. Then I moved the Null object, so it pans across. The null object is moving, but the camera isn't.

I took a screenshot of my project, here.

I have no idea what I did wrong.
Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Jason MettlerRe: Camera problem
by on Apr 2, 2011 at 6:06:47 pm

Yep it's probably that your null isn't 3D. Also, when you get it all straightened out, make sure you zero out the coordinates (the position x,y,z) of your null and camera. That way they will exist at the same point in the world view and you won't get any surprise funky moves

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved