ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

17 minute video is taking minimum of 30 hours to render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tara Campbell17 minute video is taking minimum of 30 hours to render
by on Mar 31, 2011 at 1:35:45 pm

I'm working with a Windows 7 64bit machine, Corei7 4GBRAM using After Effects CS4 and I'm having an issue rendering my work.
Here are the project specs so far:
ratio 16:9,fps 29.7, full resolution,

The Problem is that it's taking more than 30 hours to render a video in 16:9 that is 17 minutes in length. Multi Processing is on, max memory usage, max CPU's, etc. Can somebody please help me? I'm knew to AE and I don't know what I could be doing wrong. I've been looking at tons of tutorials and How To's but nobody can offer any advice as to what it is that is making it take so long and I'm at wits end. Please help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 17 minute video is taking minimum of 30 hours to render
by on Mar 31, 2011 at 3:11:30 pm

Here's the first thing to do: TURN OFF MULTIPROCESSING AND LEAVE IT OFF.

4GB may seem like a boatload of memory to you, but in AE-Land it is nothing. At work I run AE on a dual quad-core machine with 8 GB RAM, and I don't even think about using multiprocessing; I don't have enough memory to make it work efficiently. At home I have a dual quad-core machine, but I have 24 GB on it; multiprocessing works fine.

That may solve some of your problems, but not all of them since you're running AE 9. AE 10 solved the issue I have in mind, but you're still on AE 9, so the following still applies in your situation:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: 17 minute video is taking minimum of 30 hours to render
by on Mar 31, 2011 at 4:01:18 pm

I'm with Dave, your settings are terrible. Get more RAM. Until you do, turn off Multi-Processing.

You haven't mentioned what's in your project either. A minute per frame would be an awful lot if it's just levels on a video file, but if you've got motion blur, depth of field, lights, and shadows in a 3d world with several layers of HD video in AVCHD codec involved (on an external USB hard drive), it might be fairly normal.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved