ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stuttering after render all of the sudden

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan MoyerStuttering after render all of the sudden
by on Mar 25, 2011 at 7:34:38 am

I am having a bit of an odd problem.

After rendering my video the first 20 seconds or so of it stutter. After that, it smooths out.

This only happens when I render the first minute or so of the video, or more. If I render just the first 20 seconds, it plays perfectly smooth.

Also, I have an old render I did a few days ago (prior to some edits) that works fine, with no stuttering at all. I haven't done anything outside of my normal workflow since then. Just edited some after effects clips (not in the first 20 seconds), moved around some clips/music, etc.

I'm rendering HDTV 720p 29.97fps.

ETA: If I open it in quicktime, the entire video bounces around violently, whereas the original render from a day or so ago works fine.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Stuttering after render all of the sudden
by on Mar 25, 2011 at 1:31:32 pm

[Ryan Moyer] "
I'm rendering HDTV 720p 29.97fps."

This isn't a render setting; it's a composition setting.

What codec are you rendering to?

If it's Animation, then it's natural to expect stuttering on playback. It's a high data rate codec, and most processors and drives aren't fast enough to play it back in real time.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Ryan MoyerRe: Stuttering after render all of the sudden
by on Mar 25, 2011 at 2:24:03 pm

I guess I left out a pretty key word there. I'm rendering using the HDTV 720p 29.97fps preset under the h264 codec presets.

The comp is actually set up as 1280x720 at 59.94fps.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Stuttering after render all of the sudden
by on Mar 25, 2011 at 2:37:47 pm

Your version of AE and the codec of your imported video footage could make a difference.

Before AE 10 (aka CS5), AE couldn't handle long-gop video footage well, such as footage from a DSLR, HDV camera, XDCam or Flip cam. Here's a cut 'n paste admonition from those dark days:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2011 at 3:34:18 pm

I'm using CS5 for both AE and PP.

The AE footage was merely a couple titles that I created in AE, and rendered using the animation codec.

So unfortunately it doesn't look like that's the issue :\

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2011 at 4:16:21 pm

Nope, the issue is 59.94 fps in the Animation codec. There's no way that's going to play back smoothly in QT player without some serious processing power, a RAID array, or Mac's smokin' new Thunderboltâ„¢ i/o technology.

Joey Foreman

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2011 at 4:21:35 pm

I'm not following.

It's the Premiere Pro composition that is 59.94 fps, and that is rendered using h264.

The animation codec was used to export the AE titles. The stuttering is not during the AE sections, it is during the intro section, which is just a video clip same as the majority of the video.

Also, the introduction worked fine with basically those same AE animations when I rendered it a couple of days ago. No stuttering or anything.

The only thing that's changed since then is that I added some audio and video tweaks/clips later in the video, adjusted my volume levels, move some clips around, etc. All of this was not during the stuttering part, and none of the codecs or rendering settings I used on the video or the AE clips is any different than it was a few days ago when I had no problem with it (and is also the same as most projects I do).

Could this be a result of having too many timelines or something? I tried deleting a few but it didn't seem to change. I'm rendering on a Q9350 quad core chip.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2011 at 4:25:00 pm

To clarify..

When I created the PP comp, I set it to 1280x720 at 59.94 fps (since that's what my footage was)

The After Effects footage was rendered via the animation setting (same as I've always done), and placed into the PP comp.

When I render the PP comp, I used the h.264 codec with the HDTV 720p 29.97 fps preset.

In Media player classic the stuttering takes place during the intro to the video, which is NOT an AE clip. In Quicktime, the screen "shakes" during the duration of the video.

Using these same comp/render settings, I successfully rendered several days ago with no stuttering. Also, if I only render the video's intro, it works fine. It's when I render the entire video that the intro starts stuttering.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2011 at 4:33:52 pm

Sorry for misunderstanding. It's standard practice to not render or export to H.264 or other long GOP formats from AE or NLE's like Premiere. Export from Premiere in the same codec, res, frame rate, etc., as your sequence. Then take your file into a media encoder for the delivery version (h.264, mpeg, etc.)

Joey Foreman

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]