ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

simple animation not sharp.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harlan Erskine
simple animation not sharp.
on Mar 24, 2011 at 5:12:38 am

Hey everyone,

First time posting. So I'm building a presentation in After Effects CS5 with a mix of stills and video. It is my first time using After Effects so things are slowly moving along. I'm almost finished with the video but there are a few things that are technical errors that the client needs fixed and I cant figure out.

The main issue is on of sharpness. I have a bunch of stills that slide into the screen right to left, stop for a few seconds and the slide out the left side. They look great when they stop but all throughout the slide the are blury and not in a way that looks right to the client or me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am outputting the video to DVD at 720 x 480 resolution 29.97 fps. I have been outputting with the MPEG-2 DVD setting.

thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: simple animation not sharp.
on Mar 24, 2011 at 5:40:18 am

Good to hear that you'ra getting into AE.

1) What are your output/render settings for the MPEG2 file?

- your settings determine a great deal towards the quality of your rendered movie.

2) Can you post a high-quality JPEG (quality at 9) of the image when it (a) stops (b) is in motion?

For a QuickFix - try switching on Motion Blur. Additionally, check the AE Help on how to set AND tweak Motion Blur settings.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 24, 2011 at 2:30:36 pm

[Harlan Erskine] "...I am outputting the video to DVD at 720 x 480 resolution 29.97 fps. I have been outputting with the MPEG-2 DVD setting."

You should also know that AE isn't the world's greatest compression application. Compositing and effects? Different story. So you ought to take the following to heart:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Harlan Erskine
on Mar 24, 2011 at 4:15:29 pm

Ok I will try outputting the MPEG from Adobe Media encoder not AE. is that something that could have effected the movement and the color?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 24, 2011 at 4:23:11 pm

It's possible, but we'd need a lot more information to make a more accurate diagnosis.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]