ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE a little slow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rion GilpinAE a little slow
by on Mar 21, 2011 at 6:28:34 pm

Hey everyone. I'm new to AE but not editing itself. The one thing that I can't figure out is why AE is sometimes slow. It differs at times really, at start up, sometimes with files (not too large at all). Sometimes with big things, sometimes with small things. Rendering seems just fine and quick, but I was just wondering if there was a setting that I should put AE at. My computer is brand new:
1TB quad core 8gb Ram. Not much else on it except Adobe products.
I know other editing systems work at certain settings and I was just wondering if AE was the same way. ?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE a little slow
by on Mar 21, 2011 at 6:38:01 pm

The first thing that comes to mind is this: dodgy processor & memory allocations in multiprocessing.

I should tell you that at work I have a dual quad-core machine with 8 GB RAM, and I wouldn't even dream of using multiprocessing. At home I have a dual quad-core machine, but with 24 GB RAM. Multiprocessing works fine there.

The second thing that comes to mind: you're running AE 10 straight out of the box and haven't updated it yet, a condition easily fixed by going Help>Update.

And maybe the memory allocations in those other Adobe apps -- Premiere especially -- are very different than your AE allocations.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE a little slow
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 6:10:56 am

Expanding on Dave's answer:
See this page for information about memory and improving performance in After Effects.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved