ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Advanced Comp trimming

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris McfallAdvanced Comp trimming
by on Mar 20, 2011 at 10:59:33 am

Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster here. I'm a fairly savvy AE user But I 've run into a problem that I haven't been able to quite figure out. I have a Main comp that encompasses every shot in my scene, I have copied and pasted these shots in directly from premiere ( where I have been doing the main edit) What I need to know is How can I trim extraneous footage I.e. trim a comp to the in and out points set in its parent layer.
So if you look a the pic below, I want comp A to look like comp B by trimming the footage that falls out side of the in and out points. So when i enter that comp the work area matches the in and out on the main comp.

I know I can set the playhead to the start then enter the comp press B go back to the main comp set the play head to the end point enter the comp again, press N then trim to workarea, go back to the main comp re-align the trimmed layer and the in and out points and then repeat ad-nauseum for my entire film, but I was hoping you might be able to suggest a smarter way around this.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the matter.

-Chris

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Advanced Comp trimming
by on Mar 20, 2011 at 11:28:37 pm

That should be fairly easy to do with a script. Maybe check aescripts.com, they may already have one that does this.

Return to posts index

Chris McfallRe: Advanced Comp trimming
by on Mar 21, 2011 at 2:19:07 pm

Good suggestion Eric, I didn't think they would have anything so specific but as it turns out there is a luvverly little script called re-pre-compose that allows me to create comps trimmed to the duration of the content, which will do for what i need.
You can find it here...

http://aescripts.com/rd-pre-compose/

Thanks
:)

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Advanced Comp trimming
by on Mar 21, 2011 at 4:47:58 pm

Awesome. Glad you found one that worked for you. That site is great, I always check there first for things like this. Here are a couple of other scripts/plug-ins I found a while ago that you might also find useful for what you're doing:

Change Time PreComp
http://armoredsquirrel.com/blog/?page_id=69
Change Time PreComp Select your comp.
Enter in the new time in the dialog.
It will retime every comp and precomp to the new time and change the outpoint of any stills or solids you have.

De-Compose
http://www.batchframe.com/extras/#De-Compose
De-Compose allows you to quickly and easily extract all of the layers out of a nested composition and place them into the parent composition while maintaining all the effects and other properties.

Return to posts index

Chris McfallRe: Advanced Comp trimming
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 1:25:30 pm

Fantastic, De-compose is Uber-Useful Thanks again :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]