ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problem importing avi into AE CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerone HsuProblem importing avi into AE CS5
by on Mar 17, 2011 at 5:46:41 am

I'm sure this is super remedial, but I can't figure out what the issue is: I import .avi files into either premiere or AE and the video just shows up as this gray screen: http://imgur.com/605iR

I tried to troubleshoot, but I'm not even sure what search terms to use. "Gray screen" "import avi" and "what the hell is going on?!" were failing me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been a lurker/learner here for a long time. Thanks so much!

-J

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Problem importing avi into AE CS5
by on Mar 17, 2011 at 2:55:29 pm

A few Questions:
  • Why does this clip have a pixel aspect ratio of 1.5?
  • Why is the audio sample rate at 22.050 kHz?
  • What the heck is a dvsd codec? I'm a Mac/Quicktime guy, and I've never heard of it.
  • Where did this clip come from? What kind of camera was used?

You have to remember that although AE is at heart a professional application, that does NOT mean it gives you access to every codec ever devised by man. If you're trying to chroma key something you shot on a smart phone, you'll probably have trouble.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Mar 17, 2011 at 3:11:47 pm

Just for the heck of it, I googled dvsd, and it would appear you're missing the codec on your machine.

Unless a Windows codec kind of person chimes in, one who knows what's good and what isn't in Windows-Land, it would seem you've got a little reading up to do on the topic.

And be careful: there's no telling what kind of fly-by-night, malevolent soul wants to screw up your machine, so don't jump at the first thing. If you can get this codec from Panasonic, you'll be far better off than going to the Codecs4U web site or something equally evil-sounding.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jerone HsuRe: Problem importing avi into AE CS5
by on Mar 17, 2011 at 6:44:31 pm

Hrm.. I've installed the codec, but I'm still getting the same exact gray screen and no correction in the dimensions.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 17, 2011 at 10:00:36 pm

Assuming you didn't try to add the codec intuitively, but followed any and all instructions for installing this codec, you're getting the gray screen even AFTER you shut down your computer, left it off for a few minutes, and turned it back on again?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jerone HsuRe: Problem importing avi into AE CS5
by on Mar 18, 2011 at 12:00:48 am

Indeed!

Found a workaround, but still would like to get to the bottom of this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]