ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Quick time encoding settings

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Bondaygee
Quick time encoding settings
on Mar 16, 2011 at 6:02:31 pm

Hi you all. I usually make WMV files but Quicktime seems quite pro.
In short, I'm gonna post some study videos in my website and I'd love to "the right settings" or good settings for making quicktime video.

I'd like something like these CreativeCow Tutorial Vids or the Lynda.com.

Any info would be great as I need get on this right now!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Quick time encoding settings
on Mar 16, 2011 at 6:06:15 pm

The first thing to do: go to the web site and find out the delivery specifications for the videos you intend to post. Then you can work backwards from there.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James Bondaygee
Re: Quick time encoding settings
on Mar 16, 2011 at 6:39:21 pm

OK...MY BAD...I don't totally follow. Sorry for my ignorance.....

I basically just have my own website and would like to post some quicktime vids that will hopefully play at fairly decent quality.

I'm looking quick time settings now. For example:

1. What compression type?
2. Frames/sec (i imagine same as source)

I guess the big question is the compression types which i'm not familar with. What type does the COW use? If it isn't a super secret?

Return to posts index

James Bondaygee
This is Flash!!
on Mar 16, 2011 at 8:15:53 pm

I just took a look at one of the cow vids. It's been a while since I looked at one. But it does appear that they are FLASH 10 format aren't they?

The Cow Intro looks great!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: This is Flash!!
on Mar 16, 2011 at 8:25:38 pm

Yeah, I think it is Flash. But you can also download a podcast, which is an mp4. If you have QT Pro, you could see all the info on the file.

I'm certainly not in love with Apple or anything like that, but I do feel that even if it's now a comparatively-primitive 32-bit application, QT Pro remains the best 35 bucks you'll spend for many a moon.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Mar 16, 2011 at 9:00:59 pm

essentially if you want the best image quality and the smallest file size, you won't render that from ae.

what you'll render from ae is a high quality render, like uncompressed, lossless, photo-jpeg... etc.

then you'll take that to a compression utility that can do multi-pass compression to h.264. the container can be mov, wmv, mp4, flv, etc., whatever works best for you. i prefer mp4 because it can be opened in a variety of players -- it doesn't require quicktime, windows media player or flash, but your website software or even host may have a preference...

as for the compression utility, i don't know if adobe's media encoder came with cs3, but if it did, you could take a look at that. another freebie i use often is mpeg-streamclip. it's also multi-platform. just choose to export as mpeg-4, enable multi-pass and b-frames and make other adjustments as necessary.

for suggestions on data rate, frames size, frame rate and such, you might enquire over at compression forum... web streaming is not really my area....

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

James Bondaygee
on Mar 17, 2011 at 1:54:11 am

I have succeeded in making a pretty decent mp4 file. I'm not sure how to make it play on the web though? Any hints in that direction? The new playback on the Cow Tutorials is pretty awesome. It shows that Adobe Flash Play 10 is playing the vids, yet I don't think it is FLV video.

And yet, when I try to add a MP4 vid to my media insertion on dreamweaver, it doesn't seem to work. Hmmm...

Return to posts index

James Bondaygee
on Mar 17, 2011 at 7:48:43 pm

Well...I discovered a free Flow Player that will play the H264 format. I noticed that Lynda.com is playing theirs with a JW Player. Still curious bout Creative Cow.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 17, 2011 at 10:16:38 pm

Sorry, no clue. I just watch 'em. And the techs here won't upgrade my version of Flash. Bummer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]