ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS5 headphone problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Albert FungAE CS5 headphone problem
by on Mar 16, 2011 at 5:06:20 pm

Hi All,

I have a slight problem with AE CS5 and Mac Pro. I'm trying to get audio on my headphones in AE, but for some reason it's not outputting correctly.

I've tried going to Preferences > Audio Hardware and tweaking the device, but no joy there. I've also went to the System Preferences and made sure the output device was set to my headphone jack.

The headphone jack seems to be working properly, I could listen to music and all that, but not the audio in AE.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Albert

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE CS5 headphone problem
by on Mar 16, 2011 at 5:41:29 pm

When in AE, can you hear audio through the computer's speakers?

Do you have some kind of fancy sound card? How about a video capture card like Kona or Blackmagic? Got your machine hooked up to an audio mixing board?

With accurate information comes an accurate diagnosis.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Albert FungRe: AE CS5 headphone problem
by on Mar 16, 2011 at 5:51:16 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, and sorry for the lack of information.

I can hear audio in my computer's speakers (though I think it's actually from the Cinema Display rather than the Mac Pro box itself).

The system specs tells me it has something called Intel High Definition Audio...I believe my machine only has built-in audio, and no sound card of its own.

Neither do I have it connected to a video capture card, nor an audio mixing board. Just the Mac Pro box, connected to a LED Cinema Display.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Anthony HerringtonRe: AE CS5 headphone problem
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 3:30:31 pm

Any luck with this, sir? I just started some audio preview in AE and realized that I am not getting the audio from my headphones, rather AE is kicking the preview audio out my LED display... Very frustrating.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Albert FungRe: AE CS5 headphone problem
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 3:38:16 pm

Hey Anthony,

Yep, I should've posted my solution earlier...apologies.

First thing is to unplug your headphones. Then I went to AE Preferences, set the Default Device to 'Built-In Output', then you go to System Preferences, and make sure the output is set to Internal Speakers.

Now if you play sound in AE, it should come out of your box and not your display. Plug in your headphones, and the sound should come out there.

Let me know if it works alright.

Alb

Return to posts index

Doug SigouinRe: AE CS5 headphone problem
by on Jan 10, 2015 at 7:07:30 pm

Thank you. This solution worked for me. AE CC2014. Yosemite MacPro (late 2013).

Return to posts index

Dale de SilvaRe: AE CS5 headphone problem
by on Feb 1, 2016 at 1:43:46 am

I have the same problem on a Surface Pro 4.
Didn't have the options for "Default Audio Device" so couldn't do that.

Instead I think I restarted AE (CC 2015) with the headphones already plugged in. Then I unplugged, went to settings, saw headphone not listed, got out of settings, plugged in the headphones again, and went back into settings to see both speakers and headphones listed. Headphones were already selected but for some reason it worked this time.

Perhaps it was the starting the program with them plugged in.

- Will update if I find out.

Dale.

Return to posts index

Dale de SilvaRe: AE CS5 headphone problem
by on Feb 2, 2016 at 12:45:23 am

So if you load AE 2015 on a surface without the headphones plugged in. When you plug them in the sound won't play through them.
If you go to "preferences", "audio hardware", then click "settings", you'll probably see headphones is already checked even though it's not working. If you simply click okay an get out of settings it should work now.
At least, it does for me.

Dale.

Return to posts index

Dennis LynchRe: AE CS5 headphone problem
by on Nov 26, 2016 at 9:51:07 am

Thanks for sharing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]