ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

stretching a section of a project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
greg hooperstretching a section of a project
by on Mar 15, 2011 at 9:20:17 am

Hi, another newbie question

I have a project that is 10secs long. There are about 10 layers, text and graphics and the layers have various keyframes with automation of parameter changes.

I would like to be able to take the first 3 secs of all layers and stretch them out to 4.5 secs and then have the rest play as before. In other words the first 3 secs get slower and then the rest plays exactly as before with all automation still in sync. A bit like a ripple edit where everything moves to take into account the changed duration.

I have tried setting the work area to the 3secs, selecting all layers, then using the timestretch function. However this does not seem to work as the sync of subse2uent material is out - only some layers seem to stretch.

I would much appreciate any help or links to tutes on changing the duration of selections of a project whilst shifting the unselected project sections 'in sync' and appended appropriately

thanks, Greg

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: stretching a section of a project
by on Mar 15, 2011 at 4:23:04 pm

You can nest the comp and use Time Remapping to do this. If there is any footage in the nested comp with a frame rate (image sequence, video, etc) you could encounter frame rate problems.

It's usually best to just bite the bullet and make the changes necessary in the comp, becvause you get a better-looking result.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

greg hooperRe: stretching a section of a project
by on Mar 15, 2011 at 9:06:19 pm

thanks Dave - that's a good tip. It is often hard to find solutions when a newbie as you aren't familiar enough with the language to use the right search terms.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: stretching a section of a project
by on Mar 16, 2011 at 2:59:20 am

> It is often hard to find solutions when a newbie as you aren't familiar enough with the language to use the right search terms.

If you work your way through the basics here, you'll have a common vocabulary with us as well as a better understanding of how After Effects works.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

greg hooperRe: stretching a section of a project
by on Mar 16, 2011 at 9:46:01 pm

thanks Todd - I am very impressed by the online tute material

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]