ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

TimeWarp Keeps Freezing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Moyer
TimeWarp Keeps Freezing
on Mar 14, 2011 at 5:30:55 pm

I am having an issue with timewarp.

I applied a timewarp at 10 pct speed. Every second or so, the animation just freezes for a split second.

I could even see it happening when it was rendering the timewarp. It was interpolating frames slowly, one at a time, and then every so often it would just "stick" on a frame and copy that frame for the next handful of frames.

Example can be seen here:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: TimeWarp Keeps Freezing
on Mar 14, 2011 at 5:41:37 pm

You're reducing the speed of this footage until it's ten times slower than it was originally, correct?

That's a lot to ask of any kind of speed reduction software (ReVision FieldsKit, Twixtor, Magic Bullet, etc.) to say NOTHING of AE's Timewarp. They're cool at slowing things down, but they can't work miracles... and you're asking for a miracle.

You've run into a brick wall of speed reduction. If you absolutely, positively MUST have slower footage, you'll need to get a camera that shoots at a higher frame rate. They make 'em.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ryan Moyer
on Mar 14, 2011 at 6:32:33 pm

Thanks.

I kind of figured that might be the issue. Unfortunately this is some background footage that I got via one of the video co-pilot bundles so there's not really any way for me to re-shoot it, so I guess I'll just find something else to use.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 14, 2011 at 9:16:54 pm

[Ryan Moyer] "I'll just find something else to use."

Good luck with that! You';re slowing things way, Way, WAY down, and I don't think there's anything that can do the job smoothly.

If you find one, write back and tell us what it is.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Ryan Moyer
on Mar 15, 2011 at 6:12:05 am

Actually I meant I'd find a different source clip, not a different editor :)

I was just trying to use that one as the backdrop for some text, so I'm sure I can find plenty of alternatives. Shame that video co-pilot gives us the stuff at 24fps though, makes slowing it down really tough.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 15, 2011 at 3:29:40 pm

[Ryan Moyer] "Shame that video co-pilot gives us the stuff at 24fps though, makes slowing it down really tough."

Oh, haven't you heard? 24 (aka 23.976) fps is by universal acclamation the the oh-so-cool frame rate!
Everybody and their dog loves it! Film school grads love it! Film theorists have built careers on it! Hollywood loves it! It's artsy-fartsy!

Well, la-dee-dah.

Never mind that movie makers in the 20's & '30's adopted 24 fps ONLY because it was the lowest frame rate they could get away with and still accommodate a decent-sounding optical sound track. Lower frame rate = less film through the camera = more money in a producer's pocket, you see.

So the beloved 24 fps was born because Hollywood was cheaping out, and it stuck.

I would prefer that all all materials be made at 60 (aka 59.94) fps. You can convert that stuff to almost any frame rate you want... including 24. It also makes it easier to slow down, y'know.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]