ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need advice. Newby and stupid questions.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rion GilpinNeed advice. Newby and stupid questions.
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:41:44 pm

ok. So I'm wondering if someone would be so kind as to walk me through some things. Even if it means joining me on join.me.
I'm lost. The one thing I can't wrap my head around is the difference between compostion and layers and solids. I have one time line that I was working in that seemed fine. And than i switch to 'presets and nothing was there. I'm very confused. I know it's trial and error with this stuff but I'm losing patients. Please help! Thank you in advance.

Rion

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Need advice. Newby and stupid questions.
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:53:17 pm

I would suggest starting here [link] and going through the resources linked there. It's free and it'll get you started off right.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Need advice. Newby and stupid questions.
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 11:01:30 pm

It sounds as if you're trying to learn by trial and error, which is neither efficient, effective nor soothing to the soul.

AE's one of those things you need to learn from the ground-up. Even though the Adobe marketers allude that it's not so tough, there are little gotchas strewn throughout, because at its core it remains a professionally-oriented application, and it assumes that users will systematically learn everything the first time.

Ha!

So if you haven't yet been here, this stop will be well worth a detailed look:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

And if you can afford to spend a little money, this is even better:
http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321734866

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Need advice. Newby and stupid questions.
by on Mar 11, 2011 at 4:25:17 am

This is also a great starter resource.

http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/

Learning something is rarely effective done through [random] trial and error. It is done through building foundation. The journeyman can experiment with trial and error and they will learn every time. A neophyte usually does not. Use the guides given to develop your foundation and focus on that. Basic concepts like compositions, layers, solids, definitions, and the interface are foundational elements that you need to learn on day 1.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Need advice. Newby and stupid questions.
by on Mar 11, 2011 at 2:54:58 pm

The VideoCopilot basic tutorials are actually part of the free resource that Dave and I linked to, but they're pretty awesome and are probably worth a callout on their own - especially when you discover the over 100 other tutorials on VCP.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Rion GilpinRe: Need advice. Newby and stupid questions.
by on Mar 13, 2011 at 11:09:11 pm

Okay, I understand what you're trying to say and I've watched the tutorials. But I'm still not gettting a straight answer, even from the tutorials.... what's the difference between Layers and Compositions?

Rion

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Need advice. Newby and stupid questions.
by on Mar 14, 2011 at 4:01:28 am

A composition is a collection of layers.

No layers and you can render a black video from a blank composition.

No composition and you can't even render a video.

Compositions can also serve as layers for other compositions, among many other types of objects like solids or footage. When this happens it is often called a pre-composition.

Definitions like these are the kind of things I said you need to learn for foundational knowledge. These are defined ad naseum in the help.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]