ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RAM PREVIEW stops after 3 secs

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve dann
RAM PREVIEW stops after 3 secs
on Mar 7, 2011 at 9:58:13 pm

I'm trying to ram preview a simple scale change to a 10 sec long 5Mpixel jpeg but ram p/v stops after 3 secs and the rendered part plays in a loop. Have checked that disc cahce is on but don't know what else to try. Working on CS3 using Macbook Pro with 3GB RAM,

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: RAM PREVIEW stops after 3 secs
on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:07:33 pm

You don't have anywhere near the amount of memory needed to do a RAM preview that's any longer. In AE-Land, 3GB is nothing.

But you CAN do some things to make it a little bit longer, such as Previewing every other frame (I think it's a setting in AE Preferences), dropping the comp's resolution to half and the screen size to 50%, or using a RAM preview in conjunction with a Region Of Interest:
http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/8.0/help.html?content=WS387852...

But running AE8 with just 3 gigs is really cramping your style. You need more memory. And if you turned it on, turn multiprocessing OFF, and leave it off until you max that machine of yours out with RAM. Ain't no way you got enough memory to use it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

steve dann
on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:19:38 pm

Hi Dave, Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that, hoped I'd just mis-set something. Mac's already maxed out with RAM time to go shopping I suppose. Thanks for all the suggestions tho.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:23:00 pm

[steve dann] "Mac's already maxed out with RAM time to go shopping I suppose."

Well, here are a couple of facts: at work I run AE 8 on a dual quad-core Mac Pro with 8GB. Not nearly enough memory. At home I run AE 10 on a dual quad-core machine with 24 GB. Much nicer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]