ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Is After Effects right for me?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike ThomasIs After Effects right for me?
by on Mar 6, 2011 at 5:47:45 pm

After watching the new movie, "Monsters", I'm convinced that I need to learn special effects. Where do I begin? Is AE what I need? I currently use Sony Vegas for editing, will AE work well with Vegas or will I be better off switching to Premier as my editing software? Thoughts, advice??

Return to posts index

Jason MettlerRe: Is After Effects right for me?
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 3:58:57 pm

I love AE! I'm not sure if the big Hollywood studios use it for the big movie stuff but I see tons of commercials and TV shows that use it. After awhile you can recognize a technique or plugin. Just yesterday I saw Zaxwerks 3D flag used in a commercial. So, what I'm saying is get started with AE today - from there, see where you go!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Is After Effects right for me?
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 4:31:33 pm

It really depends on the kind of special effects work you want to get involved in. AE is a great compositing tool and can be used for rotoscoping, keying, some motion tracking, color correction, object removal, particle effects, and much more. However, you can't use it to create 3d creatures. You would create those in a 3d program, then use AE to add the dust where their feet fall, composite them into the scene, etc.

Here are some tutorials that use AE in conjuction with a 3d program to create a special effect:

Here are some tutorials that use exclusively AE to achieve a special effect:

That should give you an idea of how AE can be used in a visual effects workflow.

I know people who use Vegas for audio work, Premiere for editing, and After Effects for compositing. I love the integration between AE and Premiere and I love the new Mercury Playback Engine in Premiere. So I would suggest learning Premiere as well, if you want to use AE.

Before you start with AE though, be aware that it is a very wide AND very deep program. You can't just start cranking out good work by fiddling around with the program. I don't think it's even a good idea to start with following tutorials like the ones I linked above. You should start here: It's a great set of (free!) resources to begin to build a foundation in AE. A solid foundation is essential to actually doing good work. There's also this excellent resource:

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Mike ThomasRe: Is After Effects right for me?
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 9:09:44 pm

Thanks for the replies and thanks especially Michael for all the links! I'm buying the program for sure now. I'm sure I'll have many more questions down the road! Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved