ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Importing a background into AE via PS

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah KelceImporting a background into AE via PS
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 9:12:54 pm

Okay, so I haven't touched AE for....3 years? First mistake, I know.

And what I'm trying to do is so basic it's ridiculous. I made a background in photoshop. It's currently saved as a psd. I want to bring it into AE. File -> import. (I've tried as footage, comp, and cropped comp). I want this background for the whole 5 minute length of my comp. It won't stay there for more than 6 seconds. It won't let me change the duration to anything longer. I don't know why. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It's driving me nuts.

I am using CS4 on a PC.

Can anyone assist?

thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Importing a background into AE via PS
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 9:40:57 pm

[Sarah Kelce] "It won't stay there for more than 6 seconds."

What exactly does that mean?

Is the layer no longer than six seconds? You can change the duration of stills to whatever you want in AE preferences.

Once you add it to the comp, does it disappear six seconds later? Does it mean something else entirely? Please elaborate.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sarah KelceRe: Importing a background into AE via PS
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 9:50:16 pm

In preferences, I have it set to import stills for the duration of the composition, but it will not last longer than six seconds, max. It imports as a 2 second long composition. When I try to change the duration, no matter what I set it at, defaults to 6 seconds.

I have tried to change the import duration to a specific time, but still it defaults to the 2 seconds. In the timeline, it won't let me stretch it either.

I figure I have to have a setting wrong somewhere, but I cannot find it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Importing a background into AE via PS
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 11:13:44 pm

[Sarah Kelce] "It imports as a 2 second long composition."

That's probably the duration of the last comp you made. Change the comp length to something more appropriate, extend the layer out points to the end of the comp, and you should be good to go.

Unless I'm not understanding you, that is....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian AndersenRe: Importing a background into AE via PS
by on May 25, 2011 at 2:14:19 am

I'm having the same problem, I'm importing a psd file to after effects cs3. No matter how I import it, even if I change the comp duration on import, it comes in with every layer 2 seconds long, and I am unable to extend them past 6.18 seconds. The layer simply stops or defaults back to 6.18 if I try to drag it out any longer. It's driving me crazy and seriously impeding me on a job that's due tomorrow HELP!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]